question about mating flights

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Coleman

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I understand a virgin Q may make several mating flights. But at what point will she start laying eggs - will she lay after the first or subsequent matings, or will she only start to lay once she has finished all mating activity?

One reason for asking is to know when is best to mark her - is it good to mark as soon as you see eggs, or better to wait a few weeks to check all is working well?

Andy

Only after all mating activity finished.

I'd only mark once she has been in lay for a few weeks: there are quite a few posts around describing the ability of a new queen to fly off.....

My understanding is that she lays after she has ensured enough sperm to last her life.

I would leave her to mark until she is settled and laying steadily. Three weeks or so makes no odds.

PH

i think that she just takes as many flights as it takes to get her tanks filled up:)it could be one it could be two or three and then prob starts laying a few days after that once everything has got going.
Darren.

Latest posts

Back