queenless for 3 weeks leave or buy new queen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi
My hive swarmed approx 3-4 weeks ago and i havent seen the queen since
The brood cells are empty but the rest of the hive seems OK with penty of honey and pollen stores and bees coming and going like billy oh all day. There are plenty of bees left in the hive.

There were 4 swarm cells on the bottom of the brood frames which i didnt spot before the swarm but these have been empty since.

My question is is do i leave them and hope they will produce another queen or should i buy a new queen (recommendations for source anyone?)

there are adult and young bees and drones in the hive.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Test frame first. You might already have a queen.
Don't presume you don't have one.
Edit to say.........
Ah I see you have the one colony only.
Are you a member of a BKA or have a mentor?
Could you beg a frame.

Last edited:
If the swarm was only 3 weeks ago, then a virgin queen will not have emerged before two weeks ago. Two weeks from emergence to maturity to get mated and come into lay is not common and would depend on the weather for mating.

Similarly, 3 weeks is not excessive.

I would think there is likely a queen in the hive as well as the other castes.

So my answer is leave them yet awhile. There is still a couple of weeks or so window for her to start into lay.

RAB

not worthy
Of course, RAB is quite right.
I had a colony swarm on 28th April, with a queen emerging in time for weeks of rain but there were eggs for first time 10th June. All worker too :)

Thanks again lads - on the ball as usual. the missus nags me as she is just as enthusiastic about the bees as me but doesnt do any hive inspections ha.

I tend not to panic too much but she just want an excuse to nag nag nag LOL

No i am not a member of the BKA yet. Went to the birmingham branch last week to join and they were shut for the school holidays Grrr
Dont have a mentor yet but think i may need one.

I will keep you posted
Phill

Had a similar thing happen it took 5 weeks till I saw eggs

I would leave them alone, I split my colony into 3 earlier this year and it took 6 weeks before I saw any evidence of the queen on both the new hives.

4-6 weeks from emergence to laying is not unusual this year.

test frame might be a good idea (and will boost bees towards end of season).

"do i leave them and hope they will produce another queen"

impossible - you need eggs/young larvae. if no queen where are these to come from? by the time she swarmed the queen will have stopped laying so even if you had destroyed the swarm cells as soon as you found them it is probable that there would be no material for new queens left even then. certainly not 4 weeks out!!!

Thanks to all. Its actually been 6 weeks this weekend (6th Aug) how time flies.
I think its a case of checking this weekend and if no sign its off to the shops to buy another queen. Now all i got to do is find out what race have (is that the right word)
Phill

@BCBEE, would that be a National, WBC, Langstroth, Top Bar or Warre queen that you would be seeking to buy? :)

I wonder if Hedgerow Pete can point you in the direction of a virgin. He must be fairly close to you. I suggest that you PM him. He will be happy to advise you, I'm sure.

@BCBEE, would that be a National, WBC, Langstroth, Top Bar or Warre queen that you would be seeking to buy? :)

I wonder if Hedgerow Pete can point you in the direction of a virgin. He must be fairly close to you. I suggest that you PM him. He will be happy to advise you, I'm sure.

Hello Hombre
He lives in smethiwick... there anit many virgins there LOL and I come form smethwick so i know.

Anywau the hive is a national...i didnt realise that you could get queens that varied
I have already PMd him re mentorship as I have decided I cant do it all on my own with the missus confusing me even more bless her. so we will be on the case.

drstitson thanks..obvious when you stop and think.

Phill

"Anyway the hive is a national...i didnt realise that you could get queens that varied"

he's taking the piss...

....although different races may suit different hives to some extent.

but seriously you can add any type of queen to any existing colony (although the less related they are the less likely acceptance) - thats what people do if they want to reduce swarming or replace nasty bees. just decide what type you want.

Yippee - new capped brood seen. Phew

Its all ok folks..
Looking at the hive this weekend there were 3 frames of new capped brood there so it seems she is in there doing the necessary and i think i actually saw her this time.

Thanks for all the help and advice.

Phill

"Looking at the hive this weekend there were 3 frames of new capped brood"

i think you need to get eyesight checked - 3 frames of capped brood (although you don't say how much on each frame) suggests a significant amount of eggs AND larvae present at last inspection (presume 1st august)?

"Looking at the hive this weekend there were 3 frames of new capped brood"

i think you need to get eyesight checked - 3 frames of capped brood (although you don't say how much on each frame) suggests a significant amount of eggs AND larvae present at last inspection (presume 1st august)?

Hi.The middle frames had capped brood in the centre cells though not all over as they had been storing pollen and some honey on the edges but these frames were definatly empty last time i checked which was as you say 1st Aug. as there was no signs at all in the hive last time
The frames were not full but there was a 6in dia (approx) area of capped brood in the middle of the frames.
Will report again after next inspection.

Last edited:
Glad to learn that you have a laying Queen in the colony.

Just to follow up on Drstitson and this is not to have a go at you, but worker brood is capped 8-9 days after the Queen lays the eggs. It can be hard to see eggs in the bottom of some cells - a small torch can be a useful friend when looking for eggs and don't be afraid to move so that the sunlight is shining directly into the cells - it makes seeing eggs a lot easier.

Latest posts

Back