Queen wasp

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not in my neck of the woods. I have wasps like I've never seen before. They are seriously trying it on in my apiary.

I have never felt any need to take action against them in past years but things are getting ridiculous. Normally I am phlegmatic/ live and let live but not this year.:banghead:
Cazza

That's about my stand Cazza. We lost two nucs when away on holiday (long story) and it's a fact that the behaviour of other colonies has deteriorated as they are jumpy and worn out being on wasp guard. If bees are stressed by other things, why should persistent harassment by hungry wasps be ok for colony health and well-being?

So send the lightening bolt for one very successful trap that caught 386 wasps in 24 hours a couple of days back. They don't need attracting, they are nearby already!

And if hornets are so benign, why are the French putting the hornet guards on their hives this week? Or is it only the beekeepers I know over there...

Ne-then :blush5:, I sort of liberated a few sheets before I retired 8 years ago :sifone:. It was surplus to requirements and heading for the scrap yard.
Written off to me for a token sum !.

John Wilkinson

That's about my stand Cazza. We lost two nucs when away on holiday (long story) and it's a fact that the behaviour of other colonies has deteriorated as they are jumpy and worn out being on wasp guard. If bees are stressed by other things, why should persistent harassment by hungry wasps be ok for colony health and well-being?

So send the lightening bolt for one very successful trap that caught 386 wasps in 24 hours a couple of days back. They don't need attracting, they are nearby already!

And if hornets are so benign, why are the French putting the hornet guards on their hives this week? Or is it only the beekeepers I know over there...

No wasp probs but a hose pipe ban(just lifted ) :confused:

John Wilkinson

My hornet guards are in place + the 6 traps that I have ranged in an arc from west to north (woods to east and not my land to south) catch on average 30 European and 10 Asian hornets and countless wasps every 3 days.

My guards are used to fending off hornets so wasps are easy peasy and seen off pdq:sifone:

When colonies are lost to wasps, it ain't the wasps. Instead, it is the failing of the beekeeper. You can kill all the wasps you like in fangled traps and by destroying nests, but I doubt if it makes one bit of difference.

Weak colonies in September. Leaky feeders. Manipulating at midday. Forgot to put entrance reducers in place in good time. Too large an entrance. Spilling syrup about. etc.

I think I've been around bees long enough to know/avoid the obvious pitfalls(20 years plus). I rarely have to intervene on the wasp front but will and do when necessary :chillpill:.

John Wilkinson

My mentor, told me bees can cope with one problem really well, it's when they have to start coping with two or more things they start to suffer, so I'm hoping our bees haven't been too stressed by the wasps ( unlike me, who has had my sleep interrupted worrying about the damn things :eek: )

Is this about right?

I remember asking if we could close the entrance down the two inspections past as I saw a couple of wasps in the plum tree next to the hive, but as they weren't taking any notice of the hive then, I was told it wasn't necessary. It's really hard not being able to make the decisions :( not ready for my own bees yet though, so I will just have to chalk it up to experience....not that I am comfortable with that, but as they are not my bees and I am deemed inexperienced ( which I am, but have learnt a lot from very experienced people wink wink ) no notice is taken I feel. Bummer :(

Hi Kazmcc.
I've read a lot of your posts and I kind of get the feeling that unless you or almost anyone is allowed to do, rather than watch, you/they will never get anywhere.

I hope you've got your wish to help someone who will let you. I think I'm too far away for you. My memory isn't great so please excuse me for asking why it is that you dont seem to be able to attend a local group? Most group outdoor meetings are coming to a close for this year now, one of my local groups has the last meeting this Monday, the other groups was last Wednesday just gone, so it may be too late for this year.

Having said that I got my first nuc having only attended a couple of apiary meetings that I was able to do much at and couple of others to watch. I spent a lot of time in the winter reading, going on a local assoc course, to winter indoor meetings and anything else that was bee related in the area. I also attended the BBKA convention at Stoneleigh.
I ordered bees in September therefore I had to be good enough to start beekeeping before they arrived in May (3.5 weeks earlier than expected) I made the decision to do it and made sure i was ready for it. Actually the original decision was made in June last year tthe Royal Cornwall Show. After asking when would be a good time to start I was told May. It just took a while for me to start knowing there was long time before I would.

Can you not do something similar? just asking in the nicest possible way:.) Di

I would love to go to the Manchester Assoc apiary, but it is miles away across the city from me and I don't drive. I am also a single parent, and don't have anyone to look after the kids. The last time I went to a nearer assoc, but there was only one colony, LOADS of people turned up, and as I am not comfortable inspecting without a suit, and wasn't familiar with a suit, by the time I'd put one on and walked to the hive, they were shutting up :( It took me three days to sort out people to watch the kids for me too, and the guy who gave me the lift isn't keen on going again sadly, and even though it's nearer, it's more fiddly with regards to public transport. I know I am getting quicker at getting ready, but with just the one colony, I found there were too many people and not enough bees lol.

I just thought it would be easier, and a lot simpler to just learn from our bees. I think maybe I am trying to run before I can walk, as we've only had these bees since the middle of July, and therefore only a few inspections.....just me moaning because it's not going quick enough lol. I think after a few more successful inspections, our mentor will probably let me do more, but they are just settling in and I think my mentor doesn't want someone sticking their big hand in and damaging the queen or something. I got an email from him saying I am learning quickly, so he may let me do more this coming inspection. Fingers crossed :) It's just unfortunate that I live so far north as I've made a few beek friends here who would be happy to show me round and give me some experience....darn it lol

I have never really had a reason for someone to regularly look after the children before, so if I am able to find someone to watch them regularly, I will probably make the journey to the Manchester Society, as I've seen pics of their training apiary, and their looks like there is more than enough for a large group to get experience from. I live too far from my family, so they are not an option unfortunatley, but like you say, most are closing down now so I will probably wait until spring.

I would love to go to the Manchester Assoc apiary, but it is miles away across the city from me and I don't drive. I am also a single parent, and don't have anyone to look after the kids. The last time I went to a nearer assoc, but there was only one colony, LOADS of people turned up, and as I am not comfortable inspecting without a suit, and wasn't familiar with a suit, by the time I'd put one on and walked to the hive, they were shutting up :( It took me three days to sort out people to watch the kids for me too, and the guy who gave me the lift isn't keen on going again sadly, and even though it's nearer, it's more fiddly with regards to public transport. I know I am getting quicker at getting ready, but with just the one colony, I found there were too many people and not enough bees lol.

I just thought it would be easier, and a lot simpler to just learn from our bees. I think maybe I am trying to run before I can walk, as we've only had these bees since the middle of July, and therefore only a few inspections.....just me moaning because it's not going quick enough lol. I think after a few more successful inspections, our mentor will probably let me do more, but they are just settling in and I think my mentor doesn't want someone sticking their big hand in and damaging the queen or something. I got an email from him saying I am learning quickly, so he may let me do more this coming inspection. Fingers crossed :) It's just unfortunate that I live so far north as I've made a few beek friends here who would be happy to show me round and give me some experience....darn it lol

I have never really had a reason for someone to regularly look after the children before, so if I am able to find someone to watch them regularly, I will probably make the journey to the Manchester Society, as I've seen pics of their training apiary, and their looks like there is more than enough for a large group to get experience from. I live too far from my family, so they are not an option unfortunatley, but like you say, most are closing down now so I will probably wait until spring.

Tack um wi-thi.
Their headquarters is right next to the childrens' farm . Class rooms , colouring books , chickens, quail, things to do , they'd be in their heaven :D

John Wilkinson

Really John? My eldest is 12, just...my youngest 4. Would you be able to take them as young as 4, middle one 8. That would be amazing! I didn't think to find out if someone would be able to watch them there.

I did think of maybe taking them, but the youngest ones would get bored, want to play football with something.....this usually results with the youngest squealing at the top of his lungs about the older one not being fair with the ball. The eldest is very unfair and usually takes the little ones side and then all hell breaks loose. All too much when you have on a suit and trying to fish about in bees lol. He can be quite shrill lol, so if they were kept amused somewhere on site, that would be great.

Kids are great aren't they? lol :p

In three months I dont think I have had more than a dozen wasps in my garden, and the odd one which has been brave enough to land near a hive entrance has been dispatched mucho quicko. I do know that there had been many many of them nearer to the coast, as indeed I think there was last year. Alton Towers (although not near the coast) is famous for them. Ice cream, fizzy drinks, sweets, rubbish bins... I think they smell it all from further away than the bees do.

I was beginning to think that it was a quiet year for wasps in South Devon, but we seem to have gone from very few to loads of the things in the last 48 hours.

Thankfully my hives seem to be copping well.

Si.

Latest posts

Back