Queen stopped laying

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hivetool2021

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all

Hope your bees are ok. Have any one noticed their queens have stopped laying at the moment given the lack of nectar about,

If you feed starving colonies in an apiary how much danger is there of robbing as they will all be on the look out for easy pickings? In which case can feeding do more harm than good?

If you feed starving colonies in an apiary how much danger is there of robbing as they will all be on the look out for easy pickings? In which case can feeding do more harm than good?

Feed in the evening when there are no bees out

Hi all

Hope your bees are ok. Have any one noticed their queens have stopped laying at the moment given the lack of nectar about,
Not just nectar. Check the pollen stores. I've just topped up a few of mine with frames of honey and pollen

I asked about robbing over there at the moment, and apparently there isn't any, so presumably there must be nectar about. I can't recall anyone mentioning robbing issues there currently.

When you start feeding in the evening, robbers will not harm the colony.

The colony must be so stong that it occupyes all combs. Final robbers will be killed inside on combs.

Short answer yes... my NUC that almost starved - the thing I noticed first was no eggs...
Same with my nuc. I wondered if it was simply the Q being erratic, but gave them a summer-strength feed. Will simply check how much of it has been taken this week but otherwise leave them undisturbed for a while.

Dead bees don't bring in forage so if needed then feed , don't wet feed unless they are on their last feet in which caes one should soak spray them syrup, reduce any robbing by slapping on fondant , no smell no drips/spillage .
One reason to save and keep excess OSR or Ivy stores for such purposes, I have a a swarm with clipped Q from one of mine to feed . They will get two whole ivy frames.

Last edited:
Hi all

My record to feed hives is when it was end of June when I was moving hive to turnip rape fields. All hives were very empty.

They don't rob just because of spillage. If you feed in middle of the day the bees get all excited and come out and inadvertently advertise the fact they have incoming stores.
Not when it's 12C or 14C

Back