Queen problem?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Am I missing something here - I thought that the IPM idea of a short frame was that is was cut off before the drones emerge, so would have little effect on the drone population?

Apparently a colony will normally only raise a certain percentage of drones,if the drones under the short frame become part of this percentage and are always destroyed,how could this not effect the drone population.
I have not noticed any real problems with queens mating when weather is good,and drones are plentiful.
Some beekeeper applied varroa treatments can also make drones impotent.

Last edited:
Apparently a colony will normally only raise a certain percentage of drones,if the drones under the short frame become part of this percentage and are always destroyed,how could this not effect the drone population.
I have not noticed any real problems with queens mating when weather is good,and drones are plentiful.

Thanks -had assumed that any calculated percentage would be related to a perception of the number of drones hanging around the colony, but if its the cells then I can see the reasoning.

Latest posts

Back