Queen mating problems

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iann41

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
quite a lot now
I have 5 Maisemore nucs and want to use these as mating hives. What would be the best way to populate these to receive a ripe QC. Over the years I've had good success with producing QC but poor success when it comes to getting the queens mated. At the moment there are 18 QC in the cell raiser hive at day 7.

Not sure how 18 into 5 is going to work :)

I'm using mini mating nucs this year as I'm attempting to raise far more queens than usual.

In the past I've set up 2 frame nucs with 1 stores and 1 capped brood. The best way for me so far has been to split full size boxes to form 3, 3 frame nucs each with there own entrance. (Stole the idea from eyeman if memory serves) These I made up with just one good frame of stores/capped brood.

Last edited:
I must make 10 mating nucs to my queens. I split polyboxes and make missing walls from polystyre board 30 mm

Last edited:
I shake workers out of supers into a plastic box they cannot climb out of due to slippery sides, spray lightly with water and measure with a scoop into min nucs - basically the classic way. Much easier as no chance of drones..

Bu this year lots of 5 frame nucs..so may use those as well..

I take nuc bees from the hive which reared queens. Then there are no introducing problems..

When starting off a mini nuc (madasafish or anyone who uses them regularly) do you put drawn comb in the mini frames? I've got some mini nucs to try next year and thinking of cutting drawn comb out of normal frames and fixing in mini frames with melted wax - is that how you start yours off?

Also, after removing the mated queen, how long do you wait before putting in the next virgin/cell?

I've been using 5f nucs split into 2 x 2f mating nucs with full sized frames. Works well so far.

From what I've read, the act of drawing comb 'bonds' the bees into a unit. Sounds a bit hippyish but apparently it's important. As I introduce a new virgin into the unit I start with fresh frames.

I await correction

When starting off a mini nuc (madasafish or anyone who uses them regularly) do you put drawn comb in the mini frames? I've got some mini nucs to try next year and thinking of cutting drawn comb out of normal frames and fixing in mini frames with melted wax - is that how you start yours off?

Also, after removing the mated queen, how long do you wait before putting in the next virgin/cell?

I've been using 5f nucs split into 2 x 2f mating nucs with full sized frames. Works well so far.

Drawn cimb in Mini frames?

Not in 3 frame ones Apidea or Kieler sized.. Not a lot of room and if dump a load of wet struggling bees on the unsupported bottoms ofthe combs - through the inverted nuc bottom - you are likely to bend or break it.

I just clean all frames in winter and wax in foundation strips each year. Seems to work ok.

In my larger self made 5 frame mini nucs - based on the Mann Lake double mating frames sold by Bee Equipment - I use up to two combs drawn out from prior year. These nucs are larger - self designed ### using celotex and for overwintering. A frame of stores and a pre drawn frame speed up nuc establishment. Filling is from the top and the frames have a bottom bar - so different from mini nucs like Apideas.. They also need twice the bee numbers vs an Apidea..

The "drawing out frame helps them get established as a unit" seems ? to me but wdik,

### not really - a crib of the Fat Beeman videos on YouTube..but his are wood, mine are poly and include OMF and a top feeder or side feeder as I see fit or what materials I had at the time... I made a couple out of OSB3 for a trial....VERY heavy.. Not repeated.

Last edited:
From what I've read, the act of drawing comb 'bonds' the bees into a unit. Sounds a bit hippyish but apparently it's important. As I introduce a new virgin into the unit I start with fresh frames.

I await correction

Youll be waiting a long time.

I read once that a hazard to queen bees on their mating flights is predation by dragonflies.

I read once that a hazard to queen bees on their mating flights is predation by dragonflies.

Indeed they are as are swallows and swifts though it’s said they prefer drones which are in more abundance. The queens have to be reared first which is what these chaps are talking about.

Back