Queen laying multiple eggs per cell

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Be4

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
9 hives
I bought a new queen to bring some new genes into my apiary genetics.
I made a split the day before I added the new mated queen. Now, a few days later she has started to lay, I think. Only problem is that some of the cells have multiple eggs in them! It was a small split and she has limited space to lay. It isn't all the cells, but a few and she has layed up the 2 frames that the bees are covering. Is it possible that the limited space has caused the undesired laying pattern of the new queen?

Last edited:
Young queens often lay multiple eggs as they "learn" to lay properly.

PH

Thanks P.H. thats obviously the reply that I was hoping for.
She actually has plenty of space, it was the lack of bees that has meant that she cannot lay on more frames. I wanted to check that she was laying well before I gave her to the full hive. Thanks for replies.

My experience is that the queen is violated. Vain hope that the queen is young.

I see tens of young queens every summer and they do not do like that.
If I see multiple eggs,I kill the queen.

Even if the queen has no free cells, it does not lay to same cells.

Small hives have allways to few space compared to queen's ability lay.
Queen does not lay like mad. I have not seen that acting.

Last edited:
My experience is that the queen is violated. Vain hope that the queen is young.

I see tens of young queens every summer and they do not do like that.
If I see multiple eggs,I kill the queen.

Even if the queen has no free cells, it does not lay to same cells.

Have you ever left one to see if she starts laying properly?

Don't kill her, I know Finman means well but my experience is different, be patient, wait till she starts laying properly and then tell fin man he was wrong!!!

Ever.....during 50 years. I cannot remember but I do not watch them every day how they lay.

Often I.have noticed violated leg, rigid antenna, missings clawn in a leg or something
which disturbers the cell inspecting.

Don't kill her, I know Finman means well but my experience is different, be patient, wait till she starts laying properly and then tell fin man he was wrong!!!

do as you will. It is not my problem. It is not my queen.

I have reared this summer 30 new queens and none of them make multiple layed cells. At least I have not noticed.

Am I wrong . Of course I am.

Last edited:
oh dear i had similar in an apidea, maybe i did wrong when i nipped the queen thinking i had a laying worker !! oh bugger

do as you will. It is not my problem. It is not my queen.

I have reared this summer 30 new queens and none of them make multiple layed cells. At least I have not noticed.

Am I wrong . Of course I am.

You deal in quantity. You can't afford to wait and see. Us hobby bee keepers are different. We can afford to care a bit more!
:p

You deal in quantity. You can't afford to wait and see. Us hobby bee keepers are different. We can afford to care a bit more!
:p

hah ha ha ha

"we can afford"

oh dear! It is enough if "we hobby beekeepers" know what is left hand and what is right.

Do I get sleep this night...heh he he.

Last edited:
Some of you will be glad to hear that I have now capped brood, uncapped and a much better laying pattern. Obviously I cant say that it all turned out well in the end until the bees creep out of the cells, but the indications are good.
I certainly wont be too fast to hand out the death penalty in the future if I have a young queen in need of training.
Practice makes perfect.
I'll let you know when i get young bees so that we have the definitive answer.

I love your posts Finman - you cut to the quick and are so knowledgeable - love to meet you one day.
P.

So how did this all turn out?
I now have a queen that is laying multiple eggs per cell. She was mated last July so she is not new but the hive has came through the winter very week with only two frames of bees remaining. she is also laying a random brood pattern.
Tomorrow I will transfer to a Nuc and see if she gets on better with a smaller space?

Any advice?

Latest posts

Back