Queen laying affected by weather?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frenchbees

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
I've been reading threads about Queens laying less when nectar flow is low.
It's very dry here, I checked on 5th May and noticed a lot less larvae (can't see eggs, need to get different glasses). Today only a very small patch of larvae, about 2 inch square, but they are very small (2-3mm). Outside frames are full of stores, the rest about 40% sealed brood, 40% empty (or possibly some eggs) and 20% stores.
Do you think that she has just slowed down. No Queen cells of any description and bees still very placid.

I guess it depends somewhat on the forage available and how sensitive it is to water shortage. I rather fancy something like OSr might hold back on nectar secretion if it is very dry, but perhaps not something like horse/sweet chestnut.

Down here it is usually quite mad in May and slows in June- but we are ahead with the flower availability- The horse chestnut is nearly finished..so- yes I am not surprised to see the production line slow down. Loads of brood with mine- but eggs much less. She will pick up again in about 4 weeks.

This time of year I would be very careful, I would keep a very close watch on this hives queen behaviour in that egg laying slowing down would be the 1st sign the queen is reparing for swarm mode. You might wanna shake the frames in the BB and look for queen cups with eggs or queen cells with royal jelly in them with even a very small queen larva present.

This is very well documented in Ted Hooper book Guide to Bees and Honey.

Busy Bee

To continue, just finished inspecting. No larvae, lots of clean empty cells, single supercedure type cell in the middle of two frames (but not very big), not in the place I saw larvae 4 days ago.
Seem to be less bees (difficult to be sure as they have 3 supers and are spread out) and they have not drawn any new foundation, I gave them a 3rd super on 1st May as the first two were full.
Bees still very busy bringing in pollen and placid.
Help, no idea what's happening.

Back