Queen issues

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I chose the right temp this year particularly for the first three days and all is well with my Qs. I did notice on the Beesource forum though that it is thought that there is a problem with using out of date MAQS (which by the way is unlawful), as the paper which acts as a wick deteriorates and releases the formic acid too quickly leading to an overdose.
Queen losses were reported when they first released it which can hardly be attributed to out of date products. Myself and VEG an ex forumite used MAQS without queen loss but I lost colonies to varroa so stopped using it.

Queen losses were reported when they first released it which can hardly be attributed to out of date products. Myself and VEG an ex forumite used MAQS without queen loss but I lost colonies to varroa so stopped using it.
Had a good drop on mine. Have not had any winter losses from varroa since I started to use MAQS.

Another beekeeping friend has used MAQS and OA dribble for years with no issues. Each to their own, I wouldn't use it again.

Well much has happened since original post. I found a queen cell but the process seemed very accelerated from less than a week for one to be formed and sealed. Then a week later cell opened but no sign of a queen. My newly bought queen arrived and after a another inspection for an existing queen with no luck I inserted the new queen.
Inspected again about 9 days later to remove the queen cage and no new queen found.
Just done another inspection as still warm here and found a new unmarked queen with larvae.
I’m thinking the larvae is drone as the cells are very pronounced which would indicate she hasn’t yet mated? What happens next?

By the sound of it you already had a queen in the hive and they’ve dispatched your introduced queen. Send us a pic of the sealed cells, if she’s laying drone she won’t miraculously go out and mate. The colony is likely to fade away over time.

By the sound of it you already had a queen in the hive and they’ve dispatched your introduced queen. Send us a pic of the sealed cells, if she’s laying drone she won’t miraculously go out and mate. The colony is likely to fade away over time.
Is there a physical difference between a true queen and a laying stone?
The reason being she looks a perfect shape and size in every way.

Laying drone not stone, poxy predictive text
You faffed the queen introduction in failing to make the colony hopelessly queenless i.e. you remove all the QCs and then go in 5/6 days later and make sure there is not any recently made emergency cells present. The process is accelerated, because the bees panic when they lose the Q and start an emergency cell from an existing larva usually day old if they have a choice, so she emerges in 12 days not 16. The new unmarked Q will be a drone layer as you have found out, as she has not mated.

You faffed the queen introduction in failing to make the colony hopelessly queenless i.e. you remove all the QCs and then go in 5/6 days later and make sure there is not any recently made emergency cells present. The process is accelerated, because the bees panic when they lose the Q and start an emergency cell from an existing larva usually day old if they have a choice, so she emerges in 12 days not 16. The new unmarked Q will be a drone layer as you have found out, as she has not mated.
I didn’t introduce the new queen until 4 weeks after loosing the original queen and in that time a new cell was accelerated through but spent ages looking through the frames twice in two weeks after the cell opened and never saw her or any larvae so when I introduced the new queen I checked again but again couldn’t see a queen or larvae. Yes I’m aware but what are the next steps or is the hive hopeless?

I didn’t introduce the new queen until 4 weeks after loosing the original queen and in that time a new cell was accelerated through but spent ages looking through the frames twice in two weeks after the cell opened and never saw her or any larvae so when I introduced the new queen I checked again but again couldn’t see a queen or larvae. Yes I’m aware but what are the next steps or is the hive hopeless?
There is no point in introducing a new queen unless you find the drone laying queen as the introduced q will be killed! It is up to you whether you have another go if you can get another laying Q. All the drone brood will make a mess of your combs and the colony will probably die out come March. Another question is have you got enough bees in the hive to make the investment worthwhile as they are yet to produce winter bees?

There is no point in introducing a new queen unless you find the drone laying queen as the introduced q will be killed! It is up to you whether you have another go if you can get another laying Q. All the drone brood will make a mess of your combs and the colony will probably die out come March. Another question is have you got enough bees in the hive to make the investment worthwhile as they are yet to produce winter bees?
Yes the hive is really busy with workers and actively foraging and storing for winter.

Until we find out whether the brood she's laying is either drone or worker we're working in the dark.
as my grandmother would say "'does dim pwynt codi pais ar ôl pisho"
If it's drone brood, she's a dud, kill her, shake the rest out in front of the other hives.
If it's worker brood, clap your a*se and try and nurse them through the winter.

Until we find out whether the brood she's laying is either drone or worker we're working in the dark.
as my grandmother would say "'does dim pwynt codi pais ar ôl pisho"
If it's drone brood, she's a dud, kill her, shake the rest out in front of the other hives.
If it's worker brood, clap your a*se and try and nurse them through the winter.
I got the impression Brendan was talking drone brood here. Would you like to translate your grandmother's input to the conversation as I for one don't know Welsh. It is supposed to be rude to speak in a language that are not understood by everyone and after all it is not a Welsh beekeeping forum.

Last edited:
I got the impression Brendan was talking drone brood here.
The impression I got was he was uncertain - I think Ian123 did too, which is why he asked for a photo
I’m thinking the larvae is drone
A lot on here claim to think, but not all demonstrate knowledge

Take a peak at the capped cells, Brendan, it's the only way you will know for certain. I agree with Ian, I think you had a queen in there and possibly lack of incoming prevented her laying sooner.
Hope she turns out a good 'un. ;)

Take a peak at the capped cells, Brendan, it's the only way you will know for certain. I agree with Ian, I think you had a queen in there and possibly lack of incoming prevented her laying sooner.
Hope she turns out a good 'un. ;)
Thanks I will take another look in a few days as I only saw a couple of raised cappings and a few still uncapped. Hopefully giving them a bit more time will show me if there is capped workers or drones.
My general feeling is that she is a drone layer especially the way my luck has been after the MAQS killed my brilliant queen. I had 81 pounds of honey this year.
I had already ordered another NUC for April as was hoping to have two hives next year.

Latest posts

Back