Queen introduction the wrong way

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charliej

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Just thought I’d share the moment I had today concerning a new bought queen .

I received a shiny new queen last Tuesday which I introduced to a nuc in her cage with the tabs removed , I thought I’d check today to make sure she was released and to my surprise she was still in the cage .

The sugar plug was very dry and hard so I decided to make a hole through it with a small screw driver whereupon the cage split open and to my horror the queen immediately flew out and disappeared into the distance . I sat next the the nuc for 5 minutes thinking how stupid I’d been when the queen flew back and walked in through the entrance . I was absolutely amazed ...

Queen flew off on me during inspection last year.

She flew back to the hive a couple of times, walking round the sides but not entering. I was panicking. But I finished inspection, closed hive up, and watched for a few minutes to see if she’d fly back in.

Didn’t see her go back in, but she was there next inspection.

Actually you did the completely the right thing.

She's in a panic and takes off. The last thing she sees is that large white thing. She needs that landmark to return to so if you go off to sob into the phone she really is stuffed.

This is where patience comes in and it can take a while. Once for me it was 20 minutes... A very long time ago but I still remember the lesson. Stay put.

PH

Yep had the same experience as PH on three or four occasions , stay put as you are the landmark. She may orientate a couple times then buzz off before returning 10- 20 mins wait seems like along time.

Back