Queen cells in October

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Popparand

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Is this usual? I opened up a hive this morning. Plenty of capped and uncapped worker brood and four or five capped queen cells. I opened up a couple and they were occupied. So why would they want to produce a new queen now when she would have no chance of mating? Is it best to leave them alone or should I tear them all down? It's a good strong colony with plenty of stores and new pollen coming in all the time. Totally baffled!

There’s still a good chance of mating, this often happens and beeks are just not aware. Did you see the original or eggs if you are lucky enough she’s still there as insurance. You could unite but really I would let them get on with it unless I had a very small nuc.

I’ve never looked in at this time of year
I haven’t looked in any of mine for two months after I checked all was looking good.
Can I ask why you did? Just curious

I am still in mine atm plenty of brood rearing and frame juggling going on as normal and I’ve got a couple of nucs from failed introductions with virgins that are due to mate soon/now all normal and I will expect the to mate. Previously I’ve removed 20 plus mated queens from mating nucs and left 10 to get on with it 8 mated 2 weeks later than this date. Not to mention those that will find and unmarked queen or mum and daughter on the first spring inspections.

I’ve never looked in at this time of year
I haven’t looked in any of mine for two months after I checked all was looking good.
Can I ask why you did? Just curious

This was a bunch of bees that I thought were destined for the great sky hive back in June. However, they produced a queen from somewhere and I have been feeding them over the past month. I wanted to check whether brood had increased as they have been piling in the pollen recently and still taking down syrup although at a reduced rate. A fortnight ago brood pattern was patchy, but now becoming more consistent. Also they seem happier :) now than a few weeks back.

Call it a form of parental anxiety.

I am still in mine atm plenty of brood rearing and frame juggling going on as normal and I’ve got a couple of nucs from failed introductions with virgins that are due to mate soon/now all normal and I will expect the to mate. Previously I’ve removed 20 plus mated queens from mating nucs and left 10 to get on with it 8 mated 2 weeks later than this date. Not to mention those that will find and unmarked queen or mum and daughter on the first spring inspections.

Blimey. Sounds like a bee knocking shop you're running there:)

Well, the only drones available would be those of laying workers?

I had to look through 2 nucs yesterday and both have a few drones. One had a recently opened supercedure cell in it.

This was a bunch of bees that I thought were destined for the great sky hive back in June. However, they produced a queen from somewhere and I have been feeding them over the past month. I wanted to check whether brood had increased as they have been piling in the pollen recently and still taking down syrup although at a reduced rate. A fortnight ago brood pattern was patchy, but now becoming more consistent. Also they seem happier :) now than a few weeks back.

Call it a form of parental anxiety.

Good news
I hope they make the Spring

Drone eggs from both of those tend to be laid in worker cells and develop into undersized drones (still capable of mating with a virgin Q)

Attachments

• undersized drone and normal sized.JPG
    undersized drone and normal sized.JPG
    300.7 KB
Local drones will depend a lot on local colonies, I’ve always found in a queen rearing apiary queenless hives and nucs with virgins will always keep drones about longer.

Drone eggs from both of those tend to be laid in worker cells and develop into undersized drones (still capable of mating with a virgin Q)

In practice though it is highly unlikely in competition with the real thing. However, not many normal sized drones about so perhaps this is there big chance. Must say I have not seen any size flying.

Local drones will depend a lot on local colonies, I’ve always found in a queen rearing apiary queenless hives and nucs with virgins will always keep drones about longer.

That is true, but I have not noticed that it leads to mating success. For me opening up in spring and finding an unmarked queen has always been a case of marking coming off as there is smidgen of colour left. I don't believe in mating success this time of the year and people who find an unmarked queen is spring IMHO missed a supersedure in late Aug early September. Once you see your marked queen most people do not look for an unmarked queen unless they see a vacated QC. Sorry.

i have one Buckfast strain hive on a 4th storey green roof in a sun trap (glass on three sides) that alway has drones until November, and i mean greater than 10% drones of all shapes and colours, no idea why but it occurs every year even though i change the queen every two years

i have one Buckfast strain hive on a 4th storey green roof in a sun trap (glass on three sides) that alway has drones until November, and i mean greater than 10% drones of all shapes and colours, no idea why but it occurs every year even though i change the queen every two years

:iagree:
A number of my hives always have drones late into the season.

Latest posts

Back