Queen Cells Found

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skyenet

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Morning Guys,
I need some advice …. During a routine inspection at the weekend on a particularly strong colony I found three queen cells one of which was sealed also plenty of drones around. I decided at that point to carry out an artificial swarm following a standard process.
The original queen is in a new hive on the original site and rightly or wrongly I knocked down two of the uncapped queen cells and left the one capped queen cell in the old hive but at another location within the apiary. So now I have two colonies one of which I know is queen right and the other has sealed queen cell to hopefully raise a new queen. Both hives now seem very busy bringing in lots of pollen.
I have since been told via the BBKA that is probably supersedure… So now I don’t know what to do?
Fellow member’s advice would be very welcome …. Did I do the right thing in carrying out the artificial swarm when the queen cells were spotted?

Hi Skyenet,

Sounds like you've done the necessary.

I would have chosen one, or both, of the fully charged unsealed QCs as "keepers" though, and lost the sealed one - since you don't know what's in the sealed one, and you can be sure of what's in the unsealed ones - although 99% of the time you should be fine...

Sit back and give yourself a pat on the back!

You wont believe what a relief it was to read that reply.....thank you

Strongest hives swarm first.
To ensure that you get swarms next year, keep the swarming hive's daughter.

However, everything is OK. So far...

Hi Skyenet.
The deed is done as they say, so good luck with that. You will have to give more information as to where the QCs were located as it may then be possible to ascertain whether they were swarm or supersedure cells. If they were supersedure cells then you should have left them on the basis that the bees know best and they think she is a dud or going to become one shortly. Supersedure according to the text books does not lead to swarming. Other factors which are important to consider is her age and laying pattern? It's a bit like a doctor's diagnosis many variables to take into consideration and I have probably left some out.

She's a young queen (2012) and the cells where spread accross two frames in the centre of the original brood.

Morning Guys,
I need some advice …. During a routine inspection at the weekend on a particularly strong colony I found three queen cells one of which was sealed also plenty of drones around. I decided at that point to carry out an artificial swarm following a standard process.
The original queen is in a new hive on the original site and rightly or wrongly I knocked down two of the uncapped queen cells and left the one capped queen cell in the old hive but at another location within the apiary. So now I have two colonies one of which I know is queen right and the other has sealed queen cell to hopefully raise a new queen. Both hives now seem very busy bringing in lots of pollen.
I have since been told via the BBKA that is probably supersedure… So now I don’t know what to do?
Fellow member’s advice would be very welcome …. Did I do the right thing in carrying out the artificial swarm when the queen cells were spotted?

Sounds like you have done well.

As said above, leaving an open cell with a larva 'swimming' in royal jelly over a capped queen cell gives more assurance there is likely to be a viable queen produced. They are likely to make more queen cells in the old hive which will need to reduced down to one.

She's a young queen (2012) and the cells where spread accross two frames in the centre of the original brood.

Hi,
Think the gurus on here will say that's supersedure, but with the climatic conditions such as they are you have given yourself some insurance there, albeit short term, in case the virgin does not get mated.

Morning Guys,

Don't forget to feed the new box with old queen if just foundation/drawn comb.

Don't forget to feed the new box with old queen if just foundation/drawn comb.
She has a super with plenty of honey above her (Winter feed) and also I've got fondant in reserve. I am generally astounded at the quick responses I have received thank you all so much.

After you performed the AS you wondered if it might be supercedure.

I think you were absolutely right to artificially swarm them however IF they were trying to supercede they will try again so as well as checking the Q- side of the AS check the Q+ side-- one or two cells only, mid frame = supercedure.

She has a super with plenty of honey above her (Winter feed) and also I've got fondant in reserve. I am generally astounded at the quick responses I have received thank you all so much.

It's a great forum for help and advice, not to mention encouragement to calm the nerves. I've been grateful to the guys on here on more than one occasion.

You sound like you did the right thing - well done.

I know from recent experience and inexperience how easy it is to panic when you discover QC as I did yesterday but that’s sorted now. I had supercedure cells last year and took advice from the forum and all went well. I think you should have left them to it though I do not think there is much harm done. Once the two splits have sorted themselves out you can always merge them. Good Luck.

Back