Queen cell question(s)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s&n

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
finally had a good day for the bees. We got to go though 4 of our hives today:) In one hive we found 2 charged Q cells. One was actively being broken down by the bees and the other I broke down as there aren't many drones or drone brood yet. Similar thing in another hive but only an egg in one cell but no RJ and bees breaking down the other.
I am thinking they have changed their minds because of the weather but Nectar is starting to come in( from where and how in this weather beats me!)
Or is it a combination of that and not many drones yet??? confused as usual!!;):rolleyes:

Similar situation to yourselves. (If it is Sean and Nuala I'll see you both next Wednesday!!)

Spotted eggs in queen cells in one of my colonies on Saturday. No royal jelly in any of them and no big amount of nectar going into that hive. Will be checking again tomorrow night to see if the queen cells are properly charged and if so, will do an artificial swarm. With this weather the colony might decide to swarm sooner rather than later....

Aha. Hello. Nuala here. think we're working up to a busy time of it. The colonies I saw the QC' s don't have many drones and not much coming on in any hive, although all hives are drawing drone cells in the supers.
I've given the trouble makers some drawn foundation and will squeeze in a Drone frame in a few days. Hopefully with that and fresh forage on the go, maybe they'll behave:-/(FOR NOW!!!)

it's not your own drones that you need to mate with any home-grown queens.

(unless operating a significant breeding programme and have dedicated drone mother hives).

I have an out apiary 8 miles away, where I could/ would bring nucs or apedias to. Same situation there too so far.

Speak nicely to association members next week Nuala - its over two weeks since i saw the first drones flying freely from my home colonies - Nucs/Apideas could always go on a wee holiday ;)
I still have a few colonies that have minimal drone brood even though they are on 8-9 frames of brood.

Latest posts

Back