Queen cell - about to be sealed

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ginny

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Some advice please.

In mid June, one of my two colonies had no queen ( I wont go into the reasons why) and no brood so I took out a brood frame from my other colony, one with eggs & larvae & placed it into the middle of the queenless broodbox.
All seemed to be OK & two weeks ago I had brood in my hive once again. Today however, I found a large queen cell, on the verge of being sealed. It was placed to two thirds of the way up the frame on the left hand side.

I need to act quickly, so should I destroy it, or let nature take it's course?

Your advice would be appreciated.

Some advice please.

In mid June, one of my two colonies had no queen ( I wont go into the reasons why) and no brood so I took out a brood frame from my other colony, one with eggs & larvae & placed it into the middle of the queenless broodbox.
All seemed to be OK & two weeks ago I had brood in my hive once again. Today however, I found a large queen cell, on the verge of being sealed. It was placed to two thirds of the way up the frame on the left hand side.

I need to act quickly, so should I destroy it, or let nature take it's course?

Your advice would be appreciated.

if it's only the one queen cell,I'd leave them to it
I did this myself to a colony of mine on friday, it is (most probably) supercedure. perhaps your queen didn't get mated well, or there is some other reason that the bees know.

I agree with Tonybloke. A single cell speaks of supercedure. Very civilised !

Thanks for the help - I'll leave things as they are & let you know the outcome.

Latest posts

Back