Queen catcher clip handling (give me a chance)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sutty

From Glossop, North Derbyshire, UK
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4 to 12!
Although I knew they were disliked by some I was surprised by the level of hate directed at the above gadgets. A little thought made me wonder how people are handling them. In my opinion the spring is only there to hold it closed after you let go - not to close the device. Therefore I never hold it like this..
DSC_0652.JPG

Instead I hold it like this. This allows precise positioning and adjustment of the "jaws" and avoids sudden closing.
DSC_0653.JPG

DSC_0656.JPG
Using your fingertips on the body of the device, and restricting the movement with the shaft of the finger allows easy millimeter precision and slow movement.

Works for me! Maybe someone else will find it helpful.

Attachments

• MOV_0655.mp4
    19.5 MB
Yes, best way to do it if your bees are gentle enough not to wear gloves. You can just about manage with nitrile gloves.
I do mine with nitriles but you are right it is easier without.

I do mine with nitriles but you are right it is easier without.

Totally impossible for me. Pretty much any pair of gloves I buy that fits the width of my hand has fingers that seem to be at least half an inch too long. (And no, I've not had any table saw accidents :D)

James

I cant get nitriles or dishwashers to fit my enormous hands (poor eyesight too so Im thinking reincarnation of a mole)
I have to make do with industrial Marigolds which are thick,unflocked and clammy.
There is an idea that paint dabbing will never train your brain to spot queens which is a good enough excuse for me not to buy any more pens for a while.

Latest posts

Back