Putting wild comb into frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeBee

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Ok I messed up and ended up with wild comb. How do I mount it into frames? I can manage it with super frames holding with elastic bands but really I need it in brood box frames which I’m finding very difficult. Or maybe I should do something else. I’ve got a nuc box full and I need to resolve soon. 😱

There’s only any point if there’s brood in the comb and if it’s vaguely big enough to fit in the frames.. if so then just rubber bands is all that’s required. Brushing the bees off first helps

There’s only any point if there’s brood in the comb and if it’s vaguely big enough to fit in the frames.. if so then just rubber bands is all that’s required. Brushing the bees off first helps
Thanks Ian. There is brood in the combs. If I was fastening it against foundation it would be easier but as I’m dangling it in an empty space then it seems highly likely that it will fall out.

Taking on board what you have said, then I will ensure that only brood will be put in. There’s also drone comb in there. I guess I should just leave that aside.

Where should I do with comb that I’m not mounting in frames? Can I leave it somewhere for the bees to clean up?

Last edited:
Thanks Ian. There is brood in the combs. If I was fastening it against foundation it would be easier but as I’m dangling it in an empty space then it seems highly likely that it will fall out.

Taking on board what you have said, then I will ensure that only brood will be put in. There’s also drone comb in there. I guess I should just leave that aside.

Where should I put comb that I’m not mounting in frames?
If there’s brood in the comb just cut to size focusing on saving the brood, there’s no point in saving the stores but if it happens to be there also include it. The same with the drone cells if it fits include it. If the pieces are to shallow for a deep frame add two so top pieces are sitting on top of others bands horizontal and vertical will hold in place.

I tried this last year. The spikes at the top are a waste of time. The new comb is too soft and it tears out as the comb slumps.

You add a one or two vertical bands to hold the comb in. I had to search for rubber bands of the right size. It was suggested that you can use that wooly garden string. Never tried it.

Sounds like you've had a go already. Your comb is not deep enough to fill a brood frame? Just sit it on the bottom bar. They'll get the top part filled with comb in time. OR band it into super frames and put them in the brood box. They can build free comb off the bottom of super frames. I don't find that a problem once it's no longer soft and new..

DSCF20220510-15.JPG

This is after a week. They've joined this drone comb to the frame. Cut one red band and the cells under the bands have been abandoned and cleared out. (You could dump the drone comb and just take the worker comb.)

DSCF20220517-02-small.jpg

Trying to frame up the honey and nectar would just get messy so lay it above the crownboard in an empty super or eke and they will take it down.

. . . . Ben

Last edited:
Have a look at the Texas Beeworks YouTube offerings. The beekeeper collects swarms and uses rubber bands to fix wild comb in frames. I've found her method simple and effective.

The rubber bands that the post office used to package up letters for the postman for his round used to be the best and our postie always left them on our drive ... they have either stopped using them or are recyling them as they don't appear any more ...

Latest posts

Back