Purchase of hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have bought a lot of kit from Tom Bick and always found the quality to be excellent. Agree with an earlier poster that it makes other stuff look rubbish!

I've gone for gabled roofs, which look good, but not as practical as flat ones.

"I've gone for gabled roofs, which look good, but not as practical as flat ones."

it doesn't take much to make a couple of sturdy wooden blocks with shallow "V"s cut in them to support gabled roofs on the ground.

Tom would i presume make them for you if you asked at time of order.

I purchased a National from Peak Hives , Superb Quality , very pleased , just need the bees to make it complete.

H

I can also recommend Tom Bick's offerings. I bought one last season and it is great. The craftsmanship is amazing and everyone who has seen the hive has commented on this. I am sure that it is going to last for a very long time.

He also offers fantastic service and you can pick up from his West London workshop.

www.thebeehiveworkshop.co.uk

Last edited:
Sorry that links dont show on this thread.

If I remove one link to a commercial site then I need to remove them all.

There is a person on here called Hivemaker. Very good I am told.

Personally I would advise the Poly route but then I would eh?

I would advise though that you up your supers number to three. It is one of those awkward facts of beekeeping that you cannot have too many supers. ;0

PH

Yes, I have seen Hivemaker's hives being made and the finished result. They're high quality and made from locally sourced, sustainable timber around Exmoor.

If you're looking for a quality hive in wood, he's your man.

I'm pondering buying some more nationals but will wait to evaluate a new polyhive due out soon. If I go the poly route it must be interchangeable with wooden hive supers etc.

Looking on the net I see Cheshire Hives and Caddon Hives (Scotland) both seem competitive although I have no experience of either.

You won't know unless you try! : )

The beehive Market is really hotting up and will hopefully benefit the customer. Lots of good suppliers and some good competition, try to find a supplier that is both responsive and customer friendly, my opinion is 8 weeks for a beehive is not good service unless the hive is being made to order.

Premium or budget? Good question, I suppose you balance off what you can afford against what you want to achieve. I've used Tho*rnes budget hives, perfectly ok now, but as to their long term success we'll see.

Truth is, all manufacturers will have differing opinions on many things but as long as they stick to the plans then all hive parts should be interchangeable so go with who gives you the best value, not just cost but quality of hives and the service you receive. If that's an online outlet, shop, farm or one man band then as long a your happy that's all that matters.

Happy hunting.

Marc

first hive was thornes build it yourself, personally I wasnt too impressed. I am now the proud owner of 3 hives from Hivemaker, great stuff IMO far better than thornes seconds.

far better than Th**nes seconds.

That should go without saying! Not even in the same league.

The bees (most of them only staying for six weeks, after all) won't even notice. It is the beekeeper who benefits if they are in continuous use for many a year, without need for maintenance, and still retaining the aesthetic qualities (although many would prefer a WBC for those!).

Regards, RAB

The bees (most of them only staying for six weeks, after all) won't even notice.
Regards, RAB

Unless you have the fussy swarmy gits like one of mine.

Introduced a swarm into one hive, marched in and then straight back out again. Changed hive (identical), marched in and stayed in.

If they survive the winter, the queen of that colony has made the list.

Latest posts

Back