Prying apart paynes nuc and brood extension

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keith pierce

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Has anyone an easy way of prying apart the paynes nuc and brood extension without damaging them. I had to give up on a couple this morning as I thought my fingers were going to break.

Attachments

• NUC EXTENSION.jpg
    NUC EXTENSION.jpg
    20 KB
I can only assume a thin blade like a pen knife, an easy way to stop them gluing together is a smear of petroleum jelly

The blade or the hive tool wont work as they are rebated together

Perhaps there is some Caucasian introgression in the o.p.'s bees? That would explain the excessive propolisation. There were vast quantities of bees from the continent imported into Ireland after the decimation caused by the Isle of Wight disease.

Does boxes have frames. Frames are glued with burr. You must separate them frame by frame.

If boxes are empty, pour boiling water into the joint gap, and then look, what was wrong.

Perhaps there is some Caucasian introgression in the o.p.'s bees? That would explain the excessive propolisation. There were vast quantities of bees from the continent imported into Ireland after the decimation caused by the Isle of Wight disease.

There is not an excessive amount of propolis its just there is such a small finger gap to get any leverage and also a bit of arthritis in the fingers. I can feel it started to part I just cant give it the last bit of power. I will come up something.

Last edited:
if the hive is empty, take out top frames and use the top bars of bottom frames as leverage with hive tool,i had the same problem using gloss it got stuck with heat hope this helps

if the hive is empty, take out top frames and use the top bars of bottom frames as leverage with hive tool,i had the same problem using gloss it got stuck with heat hope this helps

thanks. I will have to carry in my pocket is two small pieces of timber to put into the gap and I can then use the hive tool as a leaver without damaging the polystyrene. It wont take much, just a little more power that I have in my finger tips at the moment.

Use old fashioned boxs they were made out of a material called Wood which is strong and robust...:) :)

It takes very little propolis or bridge comb to glue these together. I find that a second hive tool is useful to separate the extension from the nuc - just come in with the hive tools at opposite sides of the box. Sometimes you need to work along the length of the nuc.
The tip about using petroleum jelly in the rebates also saves a lot of hassle.

The tip about using petroleum jelly in the rebates also saves a lot of hassle.

Frames are glued together with wax bridges. Not boxes.

I have used polyboxes 30 years.

And it is good that boxes stay together in wind.

Latest posts

Back