Protecting hives from wildlife

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cedar

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
We have been given permission to put a couple of hives in the corner of a field that is cut for hay. No other crops. What is the best way to protect the hives from the deer and foxes.

We can put up a screen around them, this will help to make them less visible from the road, but should we also tie them down to ground anchors.

The area can be seen from our bedroom window, and as its the end of the season we can 'test' with empty boxes to see if they get noticed.

All comments appreciated not worthy

C

I'm sure you will have some interesting replies to this question.

All my hives are on what can be called wildlife refuges where I have all manner of species present, roe deer, wild boar, stone marten, pine marten, badgers, foxes, genet, and weasels just for starters with no extra protection for the hives and no problems....

.....actually I'm beginning to realise that's my problem - I have no problems with all the things other people have problems with - don't you hate it?

Chris

What is the best way to protect the hives from the deer and foxes.
Not usually a problem, although I have seen a hive flat roof used by foxes as a stage to get over a high fence. Accidental knocking over might be a risk, or not so accidental if two legged critters poke it 'to see what happens'. Not a lot you can do against determined thieves or vandals, make sure it can't be seen from anywhere the public have legitimate access to such as roads and paths. Otherwise make sure your stand is sturdy and use a strap around the boxes all year round.

We have been given permission to put a couple of hives in the corner of a field that is cut for hay. No other crops. What is the best way to protect the hives from the deer and foxes.

We can put up a screen around them, this will help to make them less visible from the road, but should we also tie them down to ground anchors.

The area can be seen from our bedroom window, and as its the end of the season we can 'test' with empty boxes to see if they get noticed.

All comments appreciated not worthy

C

Put the hives on a paving slab with a strap running underneath the slab and over the hive.

Put the hives on a paving slab with a strap running underneath the slab and over the hive.

agree,

i have some in a public accessible area and have a light sheep wire fence surronding a few hives and i planted a hedgrow of mixed double row of hawthorn, dog rose ,bramble, etc..bare root whips bought by the yard off ebay...almost hidden now from view even after a single season...its been very wet :mad:

Thanks guys,

We have paving slabs in the apiary at the mo. but find them awkward when lifting boxes off for inspections being a small 5" person i need to get as close as I can and trip up on them. So was planning to remove them it was also a haven for the ants to nest under.

As far as 2 legged critters goes, the vehiclular access is padlocked and across another field. It is private land but of course that wouldn't stop the determined.

Shoot the deer, no I actually enjoy seeing them out there in the morning.

C

Thanks guys,

We have paving slabs in the apiary at the mo. but find them awkward when lifting boxes off for inspections being a small 5" person i need to get as close as I can and trip up on them. So was planning to remove them it was also a haven for the ants to nest under.

As far as 2 legged critters goes, the vehiclular access is padlocked and across another field. It is private land but of course that wouldn't stop the determined.

Shoot the deer, no I actually enjoy seeing them out there in the morning.

C

i set my slabs level with the ground, it stops the slab settling over time..i do not have problems with ants under the slab...just moles, now they can topple a hive

deer and foxes

Deerr might kniock them over, so like above, either fence securely or tie down. Foxes? Anyone ever heard of a fox troubling a hive? I haven't!

agree,

i have some in a public accessible area and have a light sheep wire fence surronding a few hives and i planted a hedgrow of mixed double row of hawthorn, dog rose ,bramble, etc..bare root whips bought by the yard off ebay...almost hidden now from view even after a single season...its been very wet :mad:

would you have a link to that seller?

I drill a hole through the slab and fit a hook. A little bit more work, but the strap then does not go under the slab to rot.

Also, if the hive is leaned on, the strap pivots against the hook and the legs cannot leave the floor. The harder they are pushed, the tighter the strap gets.

Some of next doors cows invaded last year and used some of my hives as rubbing posts. All held firm. (even the nucs!)

A .243 rifle with 100 grain bullet shoud cover you for either fox or deer - from your bedroom window as well if not too far away ...... good one

Yeah, provided it's not at the animal and just to deter. They are doing what any animal does - trying to survive by getting food.

redneck1.jpg

Who needs sights!

lol, good one, photoshop? the sun on the head seems different

Last edited:
Watch out for green woodpeckers, for years I encouraged them in my garden by feeding them peanuts, now I have to wrap the hives in bird wire!! Two new chicks this year and clearing the ants out of the lawn nicely, but come january the hives will be their new target!!

I have also cast my own slabs/bases in concrete with a steel eye/ring in the middle (kept breaking slabs with the drill) this allows me to tie the hives down and protect against animals and/or wind.

lol, good one, photoshop? the sun on the head seems different

No, its the original photo. Nice gun, but I had to mod the pick-up to get it to fit in the rack.

I have GSW, MSW, LSW and Green woodpeckers all resident without any issues and no other keepers I know here protect their hives...

....but I guess in the UK it's better safe than sorry.

Chris

Latest posts

Back