Professional food scale

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luka22

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Hi all, I am looking to get a Professional food scale to wait the Honey in jars and Buckets, which would be accepted, Food and Trading, when they would come to check. Means it must be a professional level and must have the right stickers on it. Where would you buy such a scale? I would like one which counts in 1g but would go up for a 30lb bucket and can be changed between kg/lb.

Any shops people can recommend and maybe a Model? I am just totally lost where and what I should buy.

What scale (no pun intended ;) ) are you planning to sell on? 10,000's of jars or 100's?
Small scale is easy, cheap digital scales and calibration weight...less than £30. But if you are going for the big numbers...no idea...best thing to do is ring your local trading standards office, they are usually very helpful.

Just search the interweb try Amazon. There are thousands of suppliers out there, but as previous poster just said you will need to consider what use you need as I would imagine that they will get expensive.

I bought :
Commercial stamped CAS scale for £50 several years ago and local Trading standards said it was acceptable. The scsles come with a calibration certificate.

I asked my local (Wigan) TS to inspect my labels etc to confirm that they were happy and they sent me an email containing the following re scales
Honey has to be sold by nett weight and you need to use a government stamped/verified weighing scale.
We bought a T Scale T28 which cost £140 and weighs up to 15Kg... TS came out to check the calibration of the scales after we bought them

Get some metal weights. Take them to the post office. Put them on the scales. Smile nicely at the lady behind the counter and get out your phone camera to take a photo of what the weight weighs.
Return home with said weight and know what your own scales say it weighs.

(taking a jar of honey for the lady at the post office might go down well and don't go when they're queuing out of the door!)

Hi all, I am looking to get a Professional food scale to wait the Honey in jars and Buckets, which would be accepted, Food and Trading, when they would come to check. Means it must be a professional level and must have the right stickers on it. Where would you buy such a scale? I would like one which counts in 1g but would go up for a 30lb bucket and can be changed between kg/lb.

Any shops people can recommend and maybe a Model? I am just totally lost where and what I should buy.

Approved scales will have "M" sticker

M.jpg

Weights and Measures... easier to phone your local Trading Standards.
For 200 to 300g machine must accurately weigh 1.8g although 2g is acceptable... then it depends on your packaging and weighing system...
Minimum weight system... ideal for jarring up the 100s OR Average weight system, where a degree in statistics would be helpful to ascertain the TNE ( Tollerable Negative Error) and the Standard error expected in a batch of say 4000 ( I wish!!!) and proper records of your calculations have to be logged for each batch, and saved for one year

Trading Standards will charge you to test your scales... around £60 + VAT.

I can see now why many Beefarmers sell in bulk IBCs!!

Nos da

Get some metal weights. Take them to the post office. Put them on the scales. Smile nicely at the lady behind the counter and get out your phone camera to take a photo of what the weight weighs.
Return home with said weight and know what your own scales say it weighs.

(taking a jar of honey for the lady at the post office might go down well and don't go when they're queuing out of the door!)

That's what should happen. Post office I use has two scales; one weighs 50grams more than the other!

Thank you all for the first feedback. Right now we just have a few hundred jars a year and maybe the odd bucket to weight, but I don't like to spend money twice, so I want it right the first time. Specially if we want to sell in bulk, I want to be sure its accurate and if TS is coming I would not want them to have a reason to complain and tell us we need to buy another scale.

I am fully aware that there are tons out there on the internet and I can find plenty via google and on Amazon, but that is exactly the problem, I don't know anything about scales so if somebody got a good and professional scale which is approved and could give an advice on the Model or where it can be purchased that would we be very helpful. I suppose it would costs between 100-200 Pound?

Latest posts

Back