Prevent Apidea from Wasp Attack

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carmel

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi All,
I lost an apidea yesterday with a newly mated queen to a wasp invasion :( !
I still have another apidea in a tree in the garden which is stronger in bees than the lost apidea was. I intend on moving this apidea this evening as I now know there is a wasp nest close to it.
Is there any sort of trap other than the filled water traps that stop the wasps from gaining entry to the apedia as the entrance only allows for 1 bee to pass through at a time???

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated :thanks:

Toby its in my neighbours flat roof, what type of powder,,, something from Rentokil?

I read some article that one man claim that wasps doesn't like copper. So he put the bundle of copper wires near ( or around - cannot recall right ) the entrance of the hives and on water supply for bees and claim there are no wasps. Have no time or will to try it..

I read some article that one man claim that wasps doesn't like copper. So he put the bundle of copper wires near ( or around - cannot recall right ) the entrance of the hives and on water supply for bees and claim there are no wasps. Have no time or will to try it..

Cheers Goran, I'll try that won't do any harm to try

Hi Carmel,
I have hovered up the wasps as they fly in and out of their nest sites in my roof.

Wasps are driving me and my bees mad...they just wont leave them alone. I watched 5 wasps around one hive jumping on my bees as they tried to enter. My wasp trap is almost full so will renew tomorrow. Now sure why my bees are a bit moody these past few weeks as they are under cinstant attack

Wasps are driving me and my bees mad...they just wont leave them alone. I watched 5 wasps around one hive jumping on my bees as they tried to enter. My wasp trap is almost full so will renew tomorrow. Now sure why my bees are a bit moody these past few weeks as they are under cinstant attack

What's the construction of your trap?

I tried my hand at queen rearing for the first time this year, with an incubator and some apideas on loan from a friend. Seven out of eleven queens (finest north Tipp pedigree Apis mellifera hibrida) emerged over two weeks or so and went out in apideas, the last one on Sunday.

When I was putting #7 out I checked the others - all okay except #4, which was empty bar a couple of wasps at the syrup left in the feeder. I was stuck for a stand for #7 so I swapped it with #4; a couple of wasps were coming in expecting an empty box & free syrup when I opened the Apidea (made up with bees from my ultra-grumpy hive no. 1) and some seriously peed off bees came boiling out... I don't know if it's possible for wasps to kack themselves, but they certainly didn't hang around!

Latest posts

Back