Preparing equipment for extraction

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We try to eliminate the "suck it and see method" and go for proven ways to help new beekeepers

Whether you use a coarse filter first depends to some extent on how viscous your honey is (and how hot the kitchen). Just don't try using both together, or you'll risk a vacuum lock where the honey glues both together and nothing passes. Coarse filter into a tub, then repeat with the fine.

Whether you use a coarse filter first depends to some extent on how viscous your honey is (and how hot the kitchen). Just don't try using both together, or you'll risk a vacuum lock where the honey glues both together and nothing passes. Coarse filter into a tub, then repeat with the fine.

Did you take lessons in talking absolute b**lox or does it come naturally to you?

Do you actually own or have seen a modern stainless steel two stage filter? Try one from simon the beekeepers site. Mine works a treat when the extractor honey valve is set to give a suitable flow.

From my experience, uncapping with a knife produces a clearer honey and keeps the filter cleaner for longer. Uncapping with a fork leaves a lot of wax in the extractor, as well as less tidy comb afterwards. If you follow the frame with the knife then you generally end up with nice straight comb. In my earlier years I fretted about the amount of honey ending up in the uncapping tray, but this can be drained/strained afterwards anyway.

I wonder what the view of others is in regard to using a heat gun for uncapping. It is quick and leaves little in terms of mess. It of course does not leave any cappings to be fed back to the bees, but you also do not lose as much honey. I have tried it this year and found it a much cleaner and efficient operation.

I wonder what the view of others is in regard to using a heat gun for uncapping. It is quick and leaves little in terms of mess. It of course does not leave any cappings to be fed back to the bees, but you also do not lose as much honey. I have tried it this year and found it a much cleaner and efficient operation.

See my many previous posts on this subject. :)
Quick and easy (if you are careful AND know what sort of cappings not to use it on - which I've explained a few times.)
Search for "hot air gun" rather than heat gun and you'll find lots of prior art.

As others have said, this is nonsense.

Use a 'double filter' and you'll have honey that is just fine for sales/gifts.
Only for show purposes should you have to go finer than the 0.5mm (500microns) of the finer of the standard pair.

In my first year.

Used a fork for the first two extractions but bought a heat gun last week and used it on Sunday. Wonderful

Virtually nothing in the coarse strainer except the odd bee leg.

Will never use anything again

Last edited:
View attachment 10704

Just finished extracting. Used a sharp knife to uncap - worked fine and also used a double sieve. Thanks for all the advice and help. The piece of wood with the nail in the middle and cleat at each end helped to keep the frames steady and 'turnable' during the uncapping.

Though you'd like to see where the action took place ! Hope the photo downloads...

I'm not going to post a photo of where the action is taking place at this moment at Brynmair as i hope to have it cleared by the time SWMBO gets home and I don't want her accidentally stumbling on this site and seeing the evidence! :D

Latest posts

Back