pre-made Hoffman Brood Frames with Wax.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Morning, Plan a number bailey comb exchange and demaree start of the season and just don't have the time to make up frames. looking for 250 pre made Hoffman Brood frames with wax. recommendations please?

Had the perennial question about the wax being short sized. In this type of frame it is best that way....the gap avoids sagging or bellying and once the bees join it on themselves it stays nice and flat. It is international normal that way.
I've seen what Richard Noel does, leaving a gap between the top of the wax and the top bar

I've seen what Richard Noel does, leaving a gap between the top of the wax and the top bar
Some makes do not have the groove in the topbar and so cannot get into the head, but that is more common with vertically wired frames.

However that is guessing as I do not know what style Richard uses.

We prefer the grooved topbar and the foundation up into it....you do not get any 'flopping down' over the top wire when the wax softens that way....with vertical wires that is not a risk. However horizontal wires are most common in the countries like US/Canada, Aus, NZ which influence UK choices more than many European countries do. We prefer them as the pull is on the shorter sides which tends to cause less bending of the wood when the wire is under tension.

Back