Powering a Varrox

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's also worth pointing out that that 40Ah rating on the side only applies at a specific rate of discharge, probably C20. A 12A load is much higher, around C3 so you won't get the full 40Ah out of it. In fact you might only get ~60% of the C20 capacity when discharged at C3.

It's worth taking a multimeter along with you then you can measure the state of discharge as you go. For reference a 50% discharged 12V lead acid has a voltage of ~12.1V (no load). A good rule of thumb is never to discharge below 12V.

Going back to the 40Ah battery, at C3 it might only be a 24Ah battery and you only want to take 12Ah from it before it's 50% discharged - so approximately 1hrs use.
Did 13 Hives today with 40Ah battery open circuit voltage at the end still 12.77V

Sent from my LIFETAB_S1034X using Tapatalk

Personally if i were thinking of treating 60 hives a day i would forget the varrox and upgrade to a sublimox way more efficient way of vaporising
That's probably true even just based on the amount of time it takes with varrox

Sent from my LIFETAB_S1034X using Tapatalk

Personally if i were thinking of treating 60 hives a day i would forget the varrox and upgrade to a sublimox way more efficient way of vaporising
Yes, that is an option.

But 2 considerations:
- price too high

Other is using an inverter and a 40Ah battery how long it will run?

Did not get on well using an inverter, find a good sized generator works much better, and quite happy about the price, considering the speed the treatments can be done.

Depends on the quality of the inverter. Less than using battery direct as the inverter will not be 100% efficient. Some are less than 85% and, once again, need to be matched to the load - most inverters are most efficient at the quoted load (and this may not be full load!). Think here, the inverter is 0% efficient when connected to the battery and without load!

Further, any good inverter will protect the battery by disconnecting when the battery delivered voltage falls below a set level - not the open circuit battery voltage, as discussed a page or so ago. This protects the battery when drawing high currents.

So, as HM says, a small generator is probably easier and better, although more expensive per unit of generated electricity (only assuming there is no battery degradation to take into account).

I would use my cheapie chinese generator which cost me £15 second hand (£10 bid, £1 buyer's premium and £4 for a fresh plug) and now runs great after setting the carburettor properly!

Remember, too, that not all generators provide a true sine wave output without unwanted harmonics and at a sufficiently steady frequency to run many electronic devices. User beware!

This is mine. (Assuming the pictures attach ok).
72e867478d0ad059c98ca888292b2e42.jpg
fb82501ed5f58f416f772a3ccd012533.jpg
47e5d58297710c249840648315e4453d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is only 60W. Varrox rating is 150W?

I hope it is in a proper box, as those mains terminals look decidely dangerous. Also, while those output wires may be rated OK for 5A, thicker conductors would be advisable for 12 1/2 amperage.

I would not be surprised if a varrox was too much load and lets the smoke out.

I asked the garage that services my car if he had an old but fairly decent battery that was due for recycling. Cost me nothing. It has just done six hives with no problem, the last one still vaped completely in 3 mins.

I have a 4 year old 40AH Yuasa battery bought 2 years ago £10 Gumtree.

I have used it for 14 successive 2.5-3 minute vapes and it was still going strong. I recharge on trickle charger every 3 months..

Latest posts

Back