Possibly queenless and holiday

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badger28

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi,

I have a hive (my first) which swarmed on 21st June. I captured it and this is now in a spare hive - looking great.

The original hive had capped Queen cells, which i didn't thin out enough and I had a cast swarm this Friday.

Inspected Friday evening and I saw multiple hatched Queen cells. I have since removed all Queen cells...but cannot see any queen's, virgin or otherwise.

Now the problem. I go on holiday in 9 days time. Do I leave them to it and hope to return to a queen right hive? Or shall I purchase a marked and mated Queen to try to get it Queen right before I leave?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Hi,

I have a hive (my first) which swarmed on 21st June. I captured it and this is now in a spare hive - looking great.

The original hive had capped Queen cells, which i didn't thin out enough and I had a cast swarm this Friday.

Inspected Friday evening and I saw multiple hatched Queen cells. I have since removed all Queen cells...but cannot see any queen's, virgin or otherwise.

Now the problem. I go on holiday in 9 days time. Do I leave them to it and hope to return to a queen right hive? Or shall I purchase a marked and mated Queen to try to get it Queen right before I leave?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks.

If it was my colony i would leave them to it, with my virgins this year i found it can take up to four weeks before they start laying..

If it was my colony i would leave them to it, with my virgins this year i found it can take up to four weeks before they start laying..

Yup, but I would add a frame with eggs from your other hive just in case you knocking down all the queen cells has made them totally queenless. But with several emerged cells then chances are you will have a queen (or queens) in there somewhere.
Until you know for certain what is going on buying a new queen is most like to end in her demise.

Yup, but I would add a frame with eggs from your other hive just in case you knocking down all the queen cells has made them totally queenless. But with several emerged cells then chances are you will have a queen (or queens) in there somewhere.
Until you know for certain what is going on buying a new queen is most like to end in her demise.
I would put a test frame in if i had knocked all the sealed Queen cells down but with there being emerged Queen cells i would personally leave mine to it till i got back from my holly berries ..;)

I had a very similar issue with a local new beekeeper I am helping. I'm pretty sure he's got a virgin queen in there but we didn't spot her and I'd prefer not to play hunt the queen at this stage. So I've added a frame of eggs from one of my hives.

If they're queenless they can raise a new queen from the frame. If there's a virgin queen in there then they'll just look after the eggs until they add to the strength of the colony. Belt and braces really.

Really good advice. Thanks all.

I will leave them to sort it out, and pop a frame of brood in there shortly before going away.

I am away for two weeks, so it will at least keep the hive going one way or another until I get back.

Cheers! No doubt I will have plenty of questions as the months go on...

Really good advice. Thanks all.

I will leave them to sort it out, and pop a frame of brood in there shortly before going away.

I am away for two weeks, so it will at least keep the hive going one way or another until I get back.

Cheers! No doubt I will have plenty of questions as the months go on...

Make sure the frame includes eggs, so they can raise a new Queen if necessary.

Latest posts

Back