Positioning for a new hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billycasper

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I am putting a new hive on my farm (first time) and have a paddock which is ideal for it but i am wondering on the best place to site it.

The paddock is on the top of a fairly windy hill ( as is all of the farm) but the paddock has two high walls which can protect it from the wind.
down one of the high walls i have a line of bushes which has gaps in it of about three feet between bushes. Positioning the hive in between these bushes means it would be protected from the winds in both summer and winter (which change direction dependent on season) but would only get the sun in the throughout the morning and would be in constant shade by mid afternoon/ evening.
Is the hive best positioned in these gaps or being out in the open more where it would receive more sunlight but possibly more open to the wind?

thanks

i dont know much but ad say put them behind the wall where they'll get the sun in the morning to get them up out of there beds and still have the shelter from the wind.
Darren

In between the bushes sounds ideal- sheltered from the wind, sun in the morning to get them going, then shade in the afternoon to stop the hive overheating. Very des res.

I fully agree with Skyhook. Also, consider security, the more awkward it is to see the hive from a distance the better IMO.

Latest posts

Back