Ponderings from the weekend

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazy_bull

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
This was the first year i have used insulation across all my hive, and on doing my first proper inspections this weekend i was astonished at the size of the majority of the colonies, the majority were over wintered on brood + half (again not something i normally do but they all had full supers of syrup in the back end so left them on) of 37 that went into winter i have the following:

1 medium sized (3-4 frames sealed brood) but seemingly queenless

3 dying colonies (not ill, but insufficient bees to maintain a healthy brood ball these do have queens still that are laying well but the insufficient bees mean that the brood is chilling and dying) these queens will be saved and one introduced to the above colony and evaluated, the other 2 will be made into nucs and evaluated.

33 stonking hives with 8-10 full frames of brood and many laying up the above super as well.

I have never known such a good come through the winter, not sure what has caused it really, possibly the insulation, possibly the strong winter that kept them indoors and in cluster longer, maybe the extra space and therfore food (but have rarely lost an overwintering hive to starving). I have also noted that i have left them alone more this spring than i would do normally, i look back at my notes and find i have normally had a ferret about in them by the end of March, but this year all i did was heft and feed neopoll as per normal, perhaps letting them be has helped more than buggering them about.

Anyone else finding similar?

I don't mean this to rub salt in wounds for anyone who has lost colonies this winter, i know the pain and have lost 60% one year.

Other musings;

3 queens are marked pink (red 2008) and have some of the strongest brood patterns, I think i will breed from these.

11 are marked green (2009) again with strong brood pattern,

The rest are all last years queens with varying patterns but all strong.

C B

"3 queens are marked pink (red 2008) ....11 are marked green (2009)"

were you surprised? - unless they are marking themselves these were the ones present in those hives for at least a year and a half!!! ;-)

I had a similiar experience.

I insulated the top of each hive with 4 inches-ish of polystyrene sheeting at the end of Oct and when I made the first quick inspections during the last weekend of March they were all literally bursting at the seems!!

"3 queens are marked pink (red 2008) ....11 are marked green (2009)"

were you surprised? - unless they are marking themselves these were the ones present in those hives for at least a year and a half!!! ;-)

Yes i was really, as i normally kill all queens that are under performing or starting to get swarmy, this means generally after yr 2 it is very unusual for me to have more than the odd one or two queen that is 2+ yrs old, my notes don't record individual hives i record general observations and run a system (similar to PH's brick system) of noting problem hives that need re-addressing.

C B

c-b

don't worry - i just have a particular bugbear in that i hate it when people ask what a newborn baby is called as if it came out with a name tag! given that the parents have had 9 months+ to choose to me it seems more appropriate to ask "what name have you chosen for him/her/it?" or just "what are you going to call h/h/i?"

Even if they didn't know the sex beforehand the vast majority of people aren't surprised when a baby arrives!

just don't get me started on the people who manage to somehow pack their boarding card slip in their purse, in handbag, at the bottom of their rucksack, at some point during the 25 yard free for all between gate and plane.

and those who can't comprehend the fact that numerical order is a constant, even on planes. you don't need to look at your BP, then the seat row number, move forward one row, check your BP, then number etc until they get to their seat. if row one is at the front then row 25 will be 24 rows back!

Last edited:
CB

What were the other magical ingredients you used to come out with 100% with that number of colonies?

Thymol for varroa? (y)
OMFs?(Y)
OA treatment or not?(N)
How much insulation?(25mmEPS)
Ventilation?(BOTTOM ONLY)
Autumn feed (NONE)
Winter fondant? (NONE)
Hive material? (TIMBER, BUT 2 POLY NUCS)

Any others?

My answers are in the brackets

All 14 survived, but one was a drone layer. All were similar to yours but mostly only one tier (14 x 12s). Mostly going well and some real goers (the Dartington in my garden is really strong as well as the 14 x 12 which was adjacent to it).

Regards, RAB

CB

What were the other magical ingredients you used to come out with 100% with that number of colonies?

Thymol for varroa? (y)
OMFs?(Y)
OA treatment or not?(N)
Ventilation?(BOTTOM ONLY)
Autumn feed (NONE)
Winter fondant? (NONE)
Hive material? (TIMBER, BUT 2 POLY NUCS)

Any others?

My answers are in the brackets

All 14 survived, but one was a drone layer. All were similar to yours but mostly only one tier (14 x 12s). Mostly going well and some real goers (the Dartington in my garden is really strong as well as the 14 x 12 which was adjacent to it).

Regards, RAB

What i did:

Thymol for varroa? (N)
OMFs?(N)
OA treatment?(Y)
Ventilation?(Reduced entrance only)
Autumn feed (Corn Syrup)
Winter fondant? (None)
Hive material? (Timber)

Any others?

Neopoll, supplied early - mid march.