Poly roofs

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Dent easily" now that is odd as mine are some years old now, some over 10 in fact and are pretty much dent free. However the devil is...

Define dent and easily?

Then you are talking about opening up? Lost me on that one totally.

PH

"Dent easily" now that is odd as mine are some years old now, some over 10 in fact and are pretty much dent free. However the devil is...

Define dent and easily?

PH
I'll get some pics in the morning.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Yes, thank you for pointing out the obvious...... I was demonstrating to the OP that his idea of using Paynes sized Roofs on standard National hives was, perhaps, not a good idea.

A waterproof cover for the boxes underneath, insulation and somewhat cheaper than other options.
What's not to like?

At £25 for one type you can buy two of the others for that price and still have change.

At £25 for one type you can buy two of the others for that price and still have change.

Whose hive roofs would that be then HM... ;)
I have Paynes roofs at £24 and Abelo at £25.
Even in Payne's current Jan sales their roofs are £16.57.....£33.14 a pair....plus postage.

Define dent and easily?

PH

Anything other than wood.. ? or steel is going to dent where ratchet straps are involved do you not agree.

Helping out on ChrisB's honey farm a few years ago now - all poly hives, we moved a trailer load of Swienty Poly Langs to various OSR sites in Leicestershire, using ratchet straps and spansets to secure them for moving, and to be honest, didn't witness any 'denting' or damage to the roofs

Lots of odd stuff in this thread......a real pot pourri of individualistic ideas.

2. Hard edges are NOT required. The add cost and have just about zero benefit, but its one of these things where people invent a difference, sell it as a benefit, and those who buy have invested in it and become followers.

I agree about the hard surfaces, ITLD - but Swienty messed up their National poly hive design (as you know), and only Abelo, among the small-footprint poly hives, takes the bee space above the frame lugs into consideration.

(Well, the Paradise boxes do as well - but they’re full of other horrors - the lipped rim being one.)

Kitta

Poly damage. Others might consider that minor and ok...
3e2cdf38dde0321e2df7bc18f35f7294.jpg
1be954db23345aa38970cd0d3aac6d89.jpg
4f90e06f890e20b55eb9c870f7677466.jpg
5c6a2be65826dfce056bf22fa29b6d9b.jpg
e2852599234635b3264ca543d2a506b6.jpg
ccdf99393db5933a769a1656a4f57d6e.jpg
b6ab4a7e2626304ccd6744aa18ff76df.jpg

I've had hives come apart in the truck where they haven't been ratcheted tight enough so I now maybe go a bit OTT with the straps. It's dents it and I don't like to hear the poly squeeze under the tension.

I think it's a cheap and neat idea to a problem that clearly doesn't affect all of us.

I strap my Paynes roofs quite tight. As Paynes roof edges are rounded, not even a mark.

Damage?

This is one of my Swienty roofs, probably a good ten years old and the "dents" are visible and some 5mm deep, and in my experience that is about as bad as they get if that is bad?

Personally, I don't think it's worth worrying about. Then I'm no perfectionist.

LIfe is too short. KISS

PH

Attachments

• DSCF2503A.jpg
    DSCF2503A.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 59
This is one of my Swienty roofs, probably a good ten years old and the "dents" are visible and some 5mm deep, and in my experience that is about as bad as they get if that is bad?

Personally, I don't think it's worth worrying about. Then I'm no perfectionist.

LIfe is too short. KISS

PH
Is that poly not painted??

If you can't be bothered to paint poly I wouldn't expect you to spend 5 mins gluing some spare angle iron to the side.

Doesn't come much more simple than that.

Also, the damage is near identical, so at least it's not something I'm doing wrong hey?

Yes its painted thank you very much. It's not brand new so what do you expect?

I've been painting poly for more years than most of you have kept bees.....

Some of you are so damn sharp you'll end up cutting vital bits off.

PH

Yes its painted thank you very much. It's not brand new so what do you expect?

I've been painting poly for more years than most of you have kept bees.....

Some of you are so damn sharp you'll end up cutting vital bits off.

PH

Apologies... it does really look like it hasn't been painted...

And again, I'm not insulting your intelligence, this is the forum for beekeeping debate right?

Each to their own, but your KISS mantra is being applied here and you don't like it.

KISS doesn't mean don't ever do any thing different!

KISS is keeping it simple.

Said "unpainted " poly produced over 90 pounds of comb honey and three nucs last season. Now I am well aware that some down south had massive takes but up here we had a genuine drought. Springs that had never in memory failed dried up, cattle in late JUNE were taken back in the sheds and fed the winter feed. It was so bad they were taking off a silage crop in NOVEMBER in desperation to have something to feed the bellies. So we are talking dry.

I was running the hose for four hours a night and the damp went down 2 inches at best. So under those conditions what that colony produced was astonishing. Thanks Murray.

It's not how it looks, people, its how it performs.

P

Back