Poly nuc transfer

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frenchie

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
I've managed to create a new colony in a 5 frame poly nuc,checked it yesterday and good brood pattern and about 3 seams of bees. Mu question is do I over winter in the poly nuc or move the bees into an empty hive. If I move them into the hive I have an almost full super I can put on which will give them plenty of stores for the winter. Thanks.

I would leave them in the nuc, feed thymolysed syrup, extract the super and eat the honey.

I've managed to create a new colony in a 5 frame poly nuc,checked it yesterday and good brood pattern and about 3 seams of bees. Mu question is do I over winter in the poly nuc or move the bees into an empty hive. If I move them into the hive I have an almost full super I can put on which will give them plenty of stores for the winter. Thanks.

I've brought two and three frames of bees through winter in paynes poly nucs. You MUST close up the open mesh floor. I then pop an eke or a super on now and feed 2:1 syrup and once they stop I bang a margarine tub of fondant over the hole in the crown board. I also fill the eke or super with bubble wrap to prevent heat loss. It's worked for me on several small colonies over winter. They then build up fast in spring.
Hope this helps

Give to the nuc two frames of brood from other hives. 3 seems of bees is too small colony.

It cannot start brood rearing in spring with that gang.

I agree with Finman 3 seams of bees is small . I guess you might have time to help them increase living where you do - does the weather stay kind normally through September and into October ?

I've over wintered this size nuc before in a poly hive. Feed fondant not syrup and leave on all winter. I'm running Abelo 6 frame poly nucs with an acrylic crown board - which you have to buy separately (Just plastic will cut to size then use a 20mm hole saw to put a hole in the acrylic), then put the fondant between the crown board and roof. The Abelo nucs have a raised roof so you have about 40mm between the crown board and roof.

No need for crown boards with poly nucs. I am running over 20 and not a board in sight.

Yes three seams is low but certaind possible. Feeding may well stimulate them to draw out some foundation and lay that up.

I feed my nucs the same as my colonies which is an eke 25mm deep with fondant in it. Nice and simple and no isolation losses.

PH

Thanks for all the advice. I don't have an eke or super with my poly nuc,will give Paynes a ring as I assume they come as extras.

Don’t worry about fondant when they will still take syrup, little and often will induce a flow effect and if you have any ivy in your area they should build nicely plus with a donation of a frame of sealed/emerging brood little reason they should not survive

No need for crown boards with poly nucs. I am running over 20 and not a board in sight.

But you probably don't have the new Abelo/Maisies poly nucs with the new roofs built to satisfy the ones who like loads of space above the frames if you don't use a crown board you are going to have it filled with brace comb

Back