poly nuc' recommendations

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malgreen

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
1st year beekeeping and looking to purchase a poly nuc box in addition with our 2 current hives would appreciate any recommendations. Simon the beekeeper seems most reasonably priced comment would be welcome. Just off to put a shift in at the docks. Thanks.

STB sells maisemore poly nucs. If you can wait, you can pick them up in the sales for a lot cheaper, but probably not worth the wait if to save £5-8.

I would go for BS Honey Bees Nucs. Poly is more solid and can split into two for mating queens.

I have both and wouldnt get any more maisies nucs.

STB sells maisemore poly nucs. If you can wait, you can pick them up in the sales for a lot cheaper, but probably not worth the wait if to save £5-8.

I would go for BS Honey Bees Nucs. Poly is more solid and can split into two for mating queens.

I have both and wouldnt get any more maisies nucs.

You know maismores roof is now basically the same as the BS honeybees nucs.

You know maismores roof is now basically the same as the BS honeybees nucs.
Isn't it just a deep roof so you can feed fondant?

It's the same maisies material.

My vote would still go for the BS nuc due to the superior material, fondant plug and 3 frame capability

Now when you could pick up a maisies nuc for £21 there was only 1 winner

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

No. The least out of the 3 but handy for rearing queens.

For me the biggest advantage is the superior material. Maisies feels soft and is much easier to damage.

Have no experience of the new maisies roof but the bs nuc fondant hole really helps with over wintering. The previous maisies needed a simple mod to work and took out half of the feeder in the process

i use maises nucs and they are ok

roof is now much deeper

feed area can take fondant...dont see the problem...ive got 1 half syrup, the other neopol

the 3 frame part you can achieve just by dummying down

I think it's splitting hairs, the maisee nucs are solid and robust enough and the new roof is a very good design.

i use maises nucs and they are ok

roof is now much deeper

feed area can take fondant...dont see the problem...ive got 1 half syrup, the other neopol

the 3 frame part you can achieve just by dummying down

Precisely my point and far easier when they out grow their accommodation to remove a dummy and add frames.

I think it's splitting hairs, the maisee nucs are solid and robust enough and the new roof is a very good design.
Theres not much in it but you take your pick.

Much the same as the choice between Abelo and Swienty poly.

Precisely my point and far easier when they out grow their accommodation to remove a dummy and add frames.
For me the benefit is I can raise 80 queens in 40 nucs on the BS nucs

Cant do that in the maisies

For me the benefit is I can raise 80 queens in 40 nucs on the BS nucs

Cant do that in the maisies

After you've paid £15 a box more and stocked them with 240 frames of bees. Some of which you'll lose to laying workers/drome laying queens, quite a drain on resources for a small operation. I'd rather give a mated queen to a nuc than pray they can mate one.
I didn't like multiple queen boxes either so a £6 mini mating nuc and a cup full of bees gets my vote .

I paid less than the cost of the maisies nucs at the time.

I agree it can be a strain on resources but I tend to get around 50% mated on average so if one side fails, I cage the mated queen and then remove the divider to make a strong nuc.

I've tried various mini mating nucs but just cant get on with them. Seem to have much better success when mating on full frames for some reason. I only make up 2 frame nucs. 1 with brood and 1 with stores and 1 with comb/foundation.

For me the benefit is I can raise 80 queens in 40 nucs on the BS nucs.

On full frames as well, which simplifies operations.
Gave up mini mating nucs as filling, checking, absconding, feeding and upgrading became a drain on time and must have cost more than £6.
A 3-frame nuc (one of those foundation) can be built up to a 6 quite quickly and round here is worth £150-200.
BS box every time.

I only make up 2 frame nucs. 1 with brood and 1 with stores and 1 with comb/foundation.

Maths not your strong point? 1+1+1 = 3

I've not got on with the bs box with the divider in as a two queen mating unit, I think it has a lot to do with the strength of separation the divider provides as two nucs side by side with entrances either end work fine for me, as do the mini plus mating hives with a third of an inch thick poly divider, anyway the bs nucs I have are now used sans divider

I only make up 2 frame nucs. 1 with brood and 1 with stores and 1 with comb/foundation.

Maths not your strong point? 1+1+1 = 3
Clearly I am referring to the use of resources, I.e. two frames from an existing hive in a 3 frame nuc

I've not got on with the bs box with the divider in as a two queen mating unit, I think it has a lot to do with the strength of separation the divider provides as two nucs side by side with entrances either end work fine for me, as do the mini plus mating hives with a third of an inch thick poly divider, anyway the bs nucs I have are now used sans divider
Agree with that. The material is awful.

I've replaced mine with 4mm ply

Back