poly hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fincaazul

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Anyone looked at the APIMAYE site. Hi-tech hives in polystyrene with excellent sales pitch. only drawback is that it will cost you around £400.00 for a hive with 3 supers. Architecturally they are superb but will bees apprciate this? The company producing them admits that they they are are producers of plastic mouldings, not beekeepers.

Last edited:
I sent an email off to the only supplier within the UK at the time when these were newly imported a few years ago. He refused to give me a price and was extremely confident they would out sell Omlets beehaus.

:biggrinjester:

I sent an email off to the only supplier within the UK at the time

I did, too.

They quoted £250 but I think that was just for the basic hive with one super. I have not followed it up. At the time they were bringing then in from Turkey(?) by the single van load, I believe.

RAB

I got a poly Nuc box, dot think the bees liked it the they moved out :) all the rest that i have done have been put in home made Nuc boxes, all stayed all laying very well, that well had to move 3 Nucs into brood boxes till i can get new homes for them

I got a poly Nuc box, dot think the bees liked it the they moved out

None of mine in polynucs have absconded, either 6 1/2 comb nucs over winter or the six 3-framers recently. Nicely expanded and going well.

However, I think the OP is admiring full hives and in a different material than the more 'normal' expanded polystyrene. They may well be made of a urethane foam in a blow-moulded case construction - perhaps someone knows for sure?

RAB

Latest posts

Back