Poly HIve First timer

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keithgrimes

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I've been using cedar Nationals for about five years. I've decided to try out a poly national, just out of interest really. Is there anything I should watch out for? anything I should do differently?

It is only a box like cedar. Only clear difference is that moisture goes into wall wood but in plastic hive it drills to the floor. That was my first note when I started with them 24 years ago.

But don't ventilate them too much. It spoils the advantage = insulation.

I have solid floors and in Spring I use 15 cm x 10 mm entrance. Build up is really good in warm hives.

Of course the inner cover insulation is important because temp over the cluster is 35C and heat leaks out there if you have not insulation.

Of course the inner cover insulation is important because temp over the cluster is 35C and heat leaks out there if you have not insulation.

Some need to have that "inner cover" (or no-hole crownboard) in place to keep the bees away from the roof joint (because they'd love to stick the roof down with prop).
Needs to be kept in mind when you are feeding!

You will discover the bees produce more brood, often on the side of the frames next to the wall.

Swarms will often start comb building there, next to the wall.

In my experience colonies in Spring start brooding later than in timber as they are drier.

Enjoy the experience.

PH

strap them down..

Only real difference are the obvious ones..

1). You cannot torch boxes out. So need to use some chemical alternative to sterilise them.

2). They weigh a lot less. So when the bees are light on stores etc or winds are high, you will almost certainly need to strap them down.

3). Watch your smoker fuel. If you use something like saw dust etc, where you get the odd ember ejected, when trying to uselots of smoke, you may singe your boxes. Takes a fair bit to get them burning properly, so don't worry about that. But the odd hot ember will melt a hole.

Otherwise, even though I don't use them, i will acknowledge they due seem to encourage an earlier build up in brood.

1st use of poly in full hives for me as well this season... I think it was PH's article last year that really convinced me. Will be interested to see the comparison between poly and wood, as I have very similar colonies (both genetically and in size) next door to each other - one in a poly hive, one in a cedar.

Ben P

do not let any lemon grass oil make contact with the poly i found out the hard way and it melted a little bit where it splashed (only a drop no real damage)

chris

Latest posts

Back