Pollen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Over last two days have noticed an explosion in pollen coming in ,the flying bees look luminous ! I had the bottom board in which was clean 2 days ago . See attached pics !
I wish. My bees seem quite busy and I've seen bees on local shrubs with their pollen baskets full but I've not seen a single bee coming back to my hive with pollen and I can't think why?

I wish. My bees seem quite busy and I've seen bees on local shrubs with their pollen baskets full but I've not seen a single bee coming back to my hive with pollen and I can't think why?

It is typical, that bees gather pollen in early day, when flowers are full of pollen. Later bees have cleaned the flowes. If bees are too plenty in willows, they all do not get crop.

It must be warm day that bees can harvest pollen. About 16C temp and not much wind.

I have seen often situations in huge Salix alba, that the tree us full bloom but bees can harvest pollen.

It must be warm day that bees can harvest pollen. About 16C temp and not much wind.

Huge quantities of pollen coming into the hives here at about 11C, in reasonable winds. Same on all recent days. Nectar might need higher temperatures, certainly.

It will depend on what type of trees are around you of course. Some big corkscrew willows, wild cherry and cherry-plums near me.

Once I put 2 hives into willow area, which was one hectare. Mere willows.

Temp was +8C and some winds and some clouds flying on the sky

When a cloud went in front of sun, bees rushed home. Then bees rushed out, when sun shined again. Bees did not stored much pollen in hese circumtancies

But I have seen too, that bees cannot fly to the willow which bloom 1 km far away behind the fields.

What I mean, every one can find his explanation to a phenomenom. I have read that English native bees forage even in a drizzle in December. However the honey crop is 10 kg/ hive.

I cannot help. Nothing normal happend in UK beekeeping.

Bees very busy today. Both hives bringing in a lot of orange and yellow pollen, lovely to see

Very often in these years willow can start blooming early than normal. But mostly early blooming meand that weather is cold. Bees cannot go to blowers. That is the reality in my climate . But I do not shout hip huraa when I see a bee in a willow.

I must give pollen patty to my hives because farmers have cut the willows off from my landscape.

It is typical, that bees gather pollen in early day, when flowers are full of pollen. Later bees have cleaned the flowes. If bees are too plenty in willows, they all do not get crop.

I have seen often situations in huge Salix alba, that the tree us full bloom but bees can harvest pollen.
I will have a look at them in the mornings as the weather improves this week.

Just as an aside and maybe a silly question.
When do bees bring in nectar?
I am assuming that the temp needs to be fairly high, like above 10c or something?
I see plenty of pollen going into my hives here but was just wondering about nectar. Too cold yet for a full inspection and I am just in my first year beekeeping.

Do you have just the one hive? Or another you can compare?
Only 1 hive (will hopefully be splitting this Spring) so no comparison. However, I have been slowly moving it so that I can do some DIY to an adjacent wall and it has got noticeably heavier in the last week which I assume must be nectar coming in. I did have a look this morning as it's so warm am sunny; lots of activity but still couldn't see any pollen.

However, I have been slowly moving it so that I can do some DIY to an adjacent wall and it has got noticeably heavier in the last week which I assume must be nectar coming in.
Or the DIY is making your arms more tired!

I've seen nectar when I've had a quick look on the warmer days so it's definitely available when the temps have been up. Not sure enough to have a noticeable difference in weight yet.

If you've seen bees collecting pollen on the shrubs near you but your bees aren't collecting it, there are a couple of possibilities.

Maybe they're not rearing brood?
Maybe there is no room in the frames for new pollen?

I remember the itch to want to get into hives in my early days too early in the season. In my opinion it is still too early. Today I only open a hive if I have a good reason. Curiosity or my impatience is not a good reason
I wasn't suggesting opening up to check until good weather. Can look at inspection tray for evidence of brood.

I checked a couple of hives quickly in the last week of February, as I had had concerns. It was a glorious sunny day 16°c. A few days later we were abruptly back in winter.
Go by the weather at the time, not the calendar, and just use sense. Today is 11°c and blue skies. I've been gardening this morning in shirtsleeves and the garden colonies are flying madly but not planning to open them up.

Or the DIY is making your arms more tired!

I've seen nectar when I've had a quick look on the warmer days so it's definitely available when the temps have been up. Not sure enough to have a noticeable difference in weight yet.

If you've seen bees collecting pollen on the shrubs near you but your bees aren't collecting it, there are a couple of possibilities.

Maybe they're not rearing brood?
Maybe there is no room in the frames for new pollen?
Newsflash (for me anyway) went out at lunch and definitely spotted small amounts of pollen coming in which is a relief. Maybe I was just tired from the DIY bit the hive really did feel heavier.

I remember the itch to want to get into hives in my early days too early in the season. In my opinion it is still too early. Today I only open a hive if I have a good reason. Curiosity or my impatience is not a good reason
No I haven't opened up the hive yet drew, although I really am finding it difficult not to. So have been on my back under the hive stand looking up through the OMF and there is activity with a few frames to expand when they need to. Weather looks to be getting above 15degC in the next 10 days so I might take a peek just to see that the queen is laying ok. But obviously all weather dependent. Have been this excited since being a kid at Christmas!!!

Latest posts

Back