Pollen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poly Hive

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
12 and 18 Nucs
Just had an interesting chat with a Chinese lady who has pollen for sale.

Unfortunately, the minimum quantity is a ton. I certainly can't handle that amount though the price was tasty I thought at $7 a kilo. Sterilised I was assured by irridation. Which when I was using Spanish pollen some 20 years ago was the method they used.

I thought some might be interested.

PH

I have no idea, how could I? It's been a text conversation so *shrug*

On saying that all my Wish purchases have been good so my own experience of dealing with Chinese vendors has been ok.

PH

She didn’t ask for account details did she;)

No. No attempt at scamming at all. Not that I was expecting any. Who wants to be an involuntary organ donor?

PH

Just had an interesting chat with a Chinese lady who has pollen for sale.

Unfortunately, the minimum quantity is a ton. I certainly can't handle that amount though the price was tasty I thought at $7 a kilo. Sterilised I was assured by irridation. Which when I was using Spanish pollen some 20 years ago was the method they used.

I thought some might be interested.

PH

You can buy irradiated pollen from Spain also by the tonne. Probably more cost effective after shipping

I read about corona that it can last up to 9 days on surface - surprisingly long. But less likely to get it by surface, real threat air spread.

I know for Chinese foundations are fake, don't buy. Pollen and honey I wouldn't risk to buy.

Hardware I buy, especially when our local sellers sell literally the same thing for not rarely double price. So I buy directly from China. I stopped to buy, not due fear of corona, it is due our postal service won't accept packages from China for now.. I got some things from China recently due to packages already were in transit in Europe. One package was returned to China, grrrr, I was so p.ssed....

At the risk of being rude I'd far rather pollen from China then chicken from the states. ;)

Have you a link for the Spanish pollen as I used to get it years ago but then it dried up.

PH

At the risk of being rude I'd far rather pollen from China then chicken from the states. ;)

Have you a link for the Spanish pollen as I used to get it years ago but then it dried up.

PH

If you buy a prepared salad, it will have been treated like US chicken..

Not something we buy. The wife has three allergies so we make everything to be safe.

PH

If you buy a prepared salad, it will have been treated like US chicken..

It's not so much the treatment that's the main issue - It's the reason it's needed in the first place.
Anyway, I try to avoid salad - it's just a bag of weeds given posh names.

It's not so much the treatment that's the main issue - It's the reason it's needed in the first place.

I am meat eater and like it a lot, but these days lettuce or green salad is so good ( homegrown, not sprayed with some fungicide - " organic", washed in cold tap water which we also drink since springs where it come from are pure). There is huuuge difference between fresh and bought in a mall. Homegrown is melting in mouth in difference to bought which is like paper texture..

And yet US chicken has significantly lower levels of campylobacter than UK and Euro average. The reason for the treatment is simply hygiene.
The reason for criticism of the treatment when it's commonly used on other food produced here, is simply protectionist EU trade policies.

And yet US chicken has significantly lower levels of campylobacter than UK and Euro average. The reason for the treatment is simply hygiene.
The reason for criticism of the treatment when it's commonly used on other food produced here, is simply protectionist EU trade policies.

Do you think there may be an element of how chickens are mass produced in The States?

Do you think there may be an element of how chickens are mass produced in The States?
:ot:
We have been using industrial farming techniques since at least the 70's – it should be no surprise to anyone to find that their 'fresh' food has been sanitised in some way or another. The dangers caused by industrial farming e.g. air pollution, deforestation, water pollution and monocultures amongst others, are well known and documented. Mostly we choose not to 'hear' about it or 'do' anything about it. We prefer to maintain the status quo we have grown used to. Why pick on chicken from the USA ? Do any of you know how much chicken gets imported each year from Taiwan and other asian sources – its eye wateringly huge.:ot:

Latest posts

Back