Pollen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

busybee53

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
none now
When spring comes I am hoping to collect some pollen with kit bought in the sale. Other threads on here say this can be frozen, which is what I expected to do. Until I was told by one of the high ups at the association that it needs to be dried in the oven. He could not tell me any more because he does not actually collect pollen himself as he claims it is too labour intensive.

How do others on the forum treat their pollen once collected? Any other advice?

I think that, back in the days before refrigerators and freezers were common, drying was the only practical means of preservation.
Accordingly, that would have been the advice printed in those times.

I believe that the pollen sold in "health-food" shops (and not safe for your bees) would have been freeze-dried (like most instant coffee) to allow it to be stored (sealed) without refrigeration.
Hot air drying would cook the protein, reducing its nutritional value.
But freeze drying isn't something for the typical home kitchen!

"Bee-safe" pollen (from outside your own apiary) needs to have been irradiated to ensure that it is free of AFB spores and similar nasties.

Collecting pollen. Be careful to ensure that what you collect does not produce a pollen shortage for the hive with the pollen trap.
The year before last, many beekeepers were complaining that their colonies were being held back by a lack of pollen. Only take some, and at times when the bees seem to have plenty for themselves!

Michael, your "100 lb" of pollen over the season -- how many hives contribute to that, and how do you regulate things to prevent the harvesting of pollen leaving too little for those bees?

I think that, back in the days before refrigerators and freezers were common, drying was the only practical means of preservation...

Michael, your "100 lb" of pollen over the season -- how many hives contribute to that, and how do you regulate things to prevent the harvesting of pollen leaving too little for those bees?
I'm sure you're right. Raw pollen goes mouldy, drying is possible but when you have a freezer that's easier and the pollen will be in better condition.

Without wanting to pre-empt Mike's answer, there is a section with photos and descriptions of what he does with pollen in his NHS queen rearing lecture:

http://youtu.be/R7tinVIuBJ8

Around 38 minutes he's making pollen frames for cell builder hives. There's a question at around 1:07 about collecting pollen, 100 lb is trapped from a dozen hives in spring before he needs it. The numbers from elsewhere are that he raises 1500 queens a year, so around an ounce per queen in old money.

To paraphrase Mike, if we want lots of nurse bees to feed queen larvae, they are using pollen but are not the bees foraging for it. It was enough for me to want to try the idea, or at least provide extra pollen for building queen cells. I bought a pollen trap in the T autumn sales for around a fiver to try it. The time when there's lots of pollen, from dandelions or fruit trees around here, could be when to trap. I recall reading some research that the pollen foraging increases to meet the demand if you trap a proportion. Those foraging bees are not gathering for the hive so overall stores must suffer but in April or May we'll see what a day or two a week with the flap down can produce to fill a pollen tub...

Last edited:
Why do you need to collect the pollen? If the bees are in a poor foraging area, then there's an alternative option.
If you are doing it for interest's sake, or for another reason that's another thing.

Thanks all. My bees are in a high pollen area. In fact they are bringing it in already. When the pussy willow is ready in a couple of weeks I hope they will be bringing in so much that they can hardly fly like I have seen before. They manage because the hives are under the trees.

There is also alder nearby and last year when it was too rainy for the bees to collect the alder pollen the road turned into a yellow river with all the pollen being washed along. I would like to save pollen in times of plenty so that I can give it to the bees if we get another washout. Nice to know i can freeze it. Perhaps I can pack it into some drawn comb before I freeze it. Sort of convenience food.

There is also alder nearby and last year when it was too rainy for the bees to collect the alder pollen the road turned into a yellow river with all the pollen being washed along.

Why use bees then? Shake the catkins into a plastic bag. I bet an hours work would get you lots :)

I use 12 traps for about 3 weeks between the middle of May and the middle of June, and then the traps are removed.

Yes had thought of collecting the pollen myself and might have a go at some of the lower branches. Mostly too high to reach though.

Latest posts

Back