Pollen still coming in

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
-3C here and snow forecast tomorrow.

Bees doing what bees do best in winter: nothing.

I don't believe it................ max thermo read 17 deg..........cooler now tho!

You have the temperatures but unfortunately the accompanying floods .
Given a choice at this time of year I know which I would choose :seeya:

John Wilkinson

-11 here and something white everywhere. Huge wind from north east.

I think we are getting the tail end of that wind. This is where our weather is coming from at the moment and it's freezing. I'm such a baby when it comes to the cold. I would love to know more about what goes on inside the hive at this time of year. The Bee Cam is great and so clear, but I think it's an obs hive, so I assume it is indoors. I also assume that makes a difference, does it? They weren't as closely clustered as I thought they'd be.

Bees in my obseravtion hive are not really doing anything.

The odd one will walk down the tube to check on the weather but they can tell from the temperature in the tube thats its a wasted journey and they scuttle back again.

The bees on the upper frames of stores must all have ipods or something.. Just sitting there nodding. Capping I think.
Bees on lower frames showing a bit more movement but they are warmer and have a bit more energy to move.

The less energy they use, the less food they need.

Probably exactly the same as whats going on in outside hives.

I would have thought they'd be tightly clustered. Is that not the case?

Cold anyday.
Ben P
Barely got above zero down here, what was it like in Wigan? Snow?

No snow just yet :D clear ,very clear blue skies , awfully cold ,no activity around hives. Good sign is thawing around hive entrances meaning all is cosy inside !

John Wilkinson

I would have thought they'd be tightly clustered. Is that not the case?
They are spread failry evenly over the lower frames.Probably more of a cluster on out side hives tho. as they have more frames..

Back