points of the compass

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes Finman, you are right, there is a limit to how many hives / site ... or an optimum,
how do you judge that number ? ... as an example, you say 4, but you could be leaving nectar on the table,
So back to the original question :::: is there a right/wrong way for an individual hive to extract the best performance ? then also a group of hives maybe better off in a circle ( bee drift ) or, spaced well apart and all orientated in a particular direction. in an open field situation, I don't think the sun angle has any bearing on it, it has to be the through air flow

Look, what Australians have found out in their research.

IT is clear, that row or circle does not bring more honey into hives. That is something from space war movies.

yes Finman, you are right, there is a limit to how many hives / site ... or an optimum,
how do you judge that number ? ... as an example, you say 4, but you could be leaving nectar on the table,

I can see that you do not much understand the issue when you ask those questions. NZ has quite low yield per hive, and it tells that NZ is over grazed.

Leaving nectar on table. ...odd question too... If I clean all nectar from flowers, it comes a moment when start to fly without load. When they fly up to sunset with full load, then they and me have optimum.

The ordinary question is that if bees have cleaned the table soon after midday, resources will be wasted. Reduce hives and bees get easier the load.

Sometimes one hive is too much in a place.

. How I judge.... I have trained this issue 30 years, since when I noticed the phenomenom.

Last edited:
Getting back to the question, maybe a beekeeper with fixed apiaries could comment?

"Necessity is the mother of invention" and Finman makes a good point about having to make the best of what season he has.
From my perspective, all of my apiaries benefit from a hedge or wood as a windbreak. To a certain extent, this dictates the alignment of my hives but I do try to face adjacent colonies at 90/180 degrees to each other. This is to minimise the effect of drifting between hives (I don't believe this is a big problem but I try to minimise any effect that might distort the performance of colonies).
Some farmers prefer hives not to stick out too far onto the headland as they have big vehicles to move so my colonies are usually, pretty close to the hedge.

4 to a pallet, n s e and w, makes no discernible odds. I too try and avoid open sites where the wind can blow directly at the entrances.

I looked NZ average temperatures. Their winter is like our summer. +10- +15C during summer. St least near to Irish summer.

If you put hives into circle, Stone Henge model might be good.

Last edited:
Look, what Australians have found out in their research.

IT is clear, that row or circle does not bring more honey into hives. That is something from space war movies.

frankly, you couldn't pick a worse example of national research to base any constructive data on.
If you asked an Aussie, " which way to the nearest pub, or rest house " then you would get factual answers :facts:

I can see that you do not much understand the issue when you ask those questions. NZ has quite low yield per hive, and it tells that NZ is over grazed

perhaps you could bring your 4 hives over here, and see how you get on !

now there's a challenge for you, your 4 hives anywhere you like V someone else's 20 hives / spot ... see who gets the $'s

perhaps you could bring your 4 hives over here, and see how you get on !

now there's a challenge for you, your 4 hives anywhere you like V someone else's 20 hives / spot ... see who gets the $'s

Perhaps you first learn some basics about beekeeping.
.and stop dreaming about Star War figures.

Average honey yield in NZ is on average 30-40 kg. In best flow My hives bring that in one week.

One box swarm gets that 40 kg yield from good pastures.

Last edited:
I looked NZ average temperatures. Their winter is like our summer. +10- +15C during summer. St least near to Irish summer.

That's an incredible generalisation about an extremely diverse country.

SW NZ is like Norway.
North of NZ is pretty well sub tropical.

Some USED to go for huge yields off clover etc.

Now many go for high value crops...esp manuka...so apparently unspectacular in Kg but phenomenal in cash.

If it was so bad then bee farmers retiring would not be becoming multi millionaires at this time when selling out. (Was not so bright for them 15yrs ago.....bees were cheap then.)

I envy NZ beekeeping far more than any European place.

That's an incredible generalisation about an

SW NZ is like Norway.

Obviously you have not been in Norway (according you generalization)

Oslo is at same latitude as Helsinki, or just like me in my soffa.

Honey yield per hive in Norway 15-30 kg....

Rain days in Oslo during summer months: 14-16 days / 30, June, July ,August

Last edited:
That's an incredible generalisation about an extremely diverse country.

SW NZ is like Norway.

Some USED to go for huge yields off clover etc.

Now many go for high value crops...esp manuka...so apparently unspectacular in Kg but phenomenal in cash.

If it was so bad then bee farmers retiring would not be becoming multi millionaires at this time when selling out. (Was not so bright for them 15yrs ago.....bees were cheap then.)

I envy NZ beekeeping far more than any European place.

And afaik they don't even export their tastiest honey raewaraewa

And afaik they don't even export their tastiest honey raewaraewa

Oh they do...or rather DID. I used to pack it for Fortnum and Mason.

However many of these mid coloured honey types have vanished from the international market in recent seasons.........................

Oh they do...or rather DID. I used to pack it for Fortnum and Mason.

However many of these mid coloured honey types have vanished from the international market in recent seasons.........................

Reality on honey export markets is far from hobby beekeeping.
China rules there.

You can see here the prices how export/import prices works.

Honey prices in USA September 2016

https://www.ams.usda.gov/mnreports/fvmhoney.pdf

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back