plastic queen excluders

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems this question is getting like the one i posted about clipping or not some do some dont some use plastic some use metal i think new beeks{me included** have got to do what we think right and see what works iff not try something else.

I started last year with Nationals supplied with plastic excluders, and very soon ran into the problem of being stuck to top of frames. My mentor suggested I put a frame around, and one bar in middle of QE, worked a dream.

The main problem was getting a good fix, so that the wood did not peel off the plastic QE. Found that bostik heat gun sticks produced best result.

The important bit isn't who uses what by preference, it's the factors that influenced those decisions that are important and of benefit to newbees.

A lot of beeks that use slotted metal do so because that is what they started out with. Good economical plastic weren't always good or available.

Framed and wired is perhaps the ideal for some people, but given the requirement to scale up from six to twenty colonies, numbers quickly become very significant.

Concentrate not on the preferences but the reasons, so that you might be better informed and not end up with a disparate collection of different bits and pieces.

Well I switched to wire because the slotted ones got glued up and also I've read and been told that with the wire ones there is less chance of the bees damaging themselves as they go through.

I agree as hive numbers multiply it does become expensive.

presume loads of beeks out there have box loads of seconds quality plastic QEs they bought at tho*nes sale at knockdown prices.

presume loads of beeks out there have box loads of seconds quality plastic QEs they bought at tho*nes sale at knockdown prices.

I believe they are the one's which are the same pattern as the slotted zinc one's,did not think much of them,well i did,i thought they were carp.

The important bit isn't who uses what by preference, it's the factors that influenced those decisions that are important and of benefit to newbees.

Concentrate not on the preferences but the reasons, so that you might be better informed and not end up with a disparate collection of different bits and pieces.

Well said!

I use a mix of framed wire and plain plastic. I bought some of the plastic ones two seasons ago to try them out, since they were so cheap. As long as you understand that an un-framed QX cannot maintain proper bee space (whether you're top or bottom space) so will be stuck up/down, the biggest difference is that the plastic has a lot less friction than wood, so they slide easily when you're reassembling the hive. My preference? Framed wire, worth the extra for the ease of handling.

as usual, lots of useful comments! As someone who has zinc, wire and plastic QEs, I know I prefer the rigidity of wire but like the cost of plastic.....
It's probably a daft question but why can't rigid plastic be used, maybe with a thickened rim to get the best of both worlds?

My understanding is that the seconds were of the harmless variety and not stamped out ones that I have previously seen for Langstroth
Hivemaker said:
I believe they are the one's which are the same pattern as the slotted zinc one's
The reason given for them being seconds was burrs. If they are reworkable, then they are a bargain and if not it becomes a pricey punt (school fees).

How long will it take to fill all orders if 100 beeks decided to take a chance and ordered them? that's 10,000 Queen excluders. What's the production failure rate, or was there maybe a manufacturing QA problem and a damaged mould went unnoticed?

|'m sure we will hear more of this as time goes by. That we haven't already suggests that the uptake was either very low or no one has had these goods yet? I'm sure that anyone getting 100 Qx for £70+ with a high rework/acceptance rate would be bound to mention it, as would anyone that felt that they had received a stack of rubbish. So what does silence on this subject really mean - A silent cottage industry reworking and flogging on ePay?

I would think that a rigid plastic would be in danger of fracturing at some point and so have a reduced service life.

Don't know Hombre,but the few i had distorted like mad,but the thicker plastic bar/grill type seem very good,little slippery,but have well rounded bars and no sharp or rough edges.

I Bought some of the cheap thin ones a year or two ago, ideal to cut up for q/excluding nucs etc and for making drone cages to go in hives, cut with scissors. I bought a load of the green ones last year from ma*****e, excellent, like HM says slipery until propolised then ok, the steel framed ones just get too expensive as colony numbers rise.
kev

Back