Plastic foundation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried plastic super foundation this year, I painted wax onto the foundation as instructed and put it on one of my hives.
the bees propalised the frames into the super but did not touch the foundation at all. The super above and the one below, no problems. but I now have a super of plastic for sale....

Hi shed man,
I'd appreciate your help. A couple of questions.....
Were the other supers wax or plastic foundation?
Were the other supers drawn or foundation only?
When you say 'painted on'. Did you 'roller it' on or 'brush it' on?
Do you think that the wax coating may have been too thin?
How much do you want for the super?:rolleyes:

Sorry to resurrect a long dead thread, but does anyone know of a supplier of plastic foundation for commercial frames?

Sorry to resurrect a long dead thread, but does anyone know of a supplier of plastic foundation for commercial frames?

I tried looking on line but the only company I could find was in Ireland and not currently shipping to the UK.

Commercial Brood Plastic Foundation (10 Pack) for future reference when they sort the problem out.

Only other solution is to go where most plastic items are produced and source direct from China, the marketplace aliexpress is good for small amounts of products beekeeping-supplies-plastic-foundation - Buy beekeeping-supplies-plastic-foundation with free shipping on AliExpress you'll need to hunt around for the size you want, a lot of stuff is Langstroth(?) so bigger, you could cut them down if stuck.

Quite a lot of companies 'seem' to do frame and wax as one piece, not sure if that's what you want? Please be aware of import duties if you buy from China though and be very sure what you're ordering and how much the 'extras' will cost.

No one makes a plastic for commercial frames, however I know that some commercial users buy Langstroth brood and super, I am guessing that without too much effort perhaps a saw and a soldering iron and a quick touch at the seam it would form a com size foundation, just a thought.

I
I'm considering switching from wax to plastic foundation. I've experimented with plastic in a pl ease couple of boxes and they seem to work ok.
Does anyone else out there have any experience of using plastic ?

my bees struggle to draw at first until I added an extra wax coat I have mix d and matched with wax foundation without any brace comb being built

Getting the plastic with a good coat of wax is important, as is to either feed or have a good flow on. For me the supers are yellowish with the brood in black for all the reasons previously discussed, I love it.

Latest posts

Back