Plastic Foundation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
2, no 3, no 4 definitely 4......erm....5
I was asked by PM about my experience of plastic foundation so here is my personal view of it. I could not reply by PM as the members inbox is full so here we are.

It’s a contentious subject. I did some research and was a little misguided and bought Mann Lake MODIFIED Nationals when I started, slightly larger brood area than a national brood frame. Their frames are precoated with a thin layer of wax and I have had no issues with bees drawing it. They migrated to it from a wax foundation frames nuc which I then rotated out and removed. I believe if you offer plastic and normal foundation at the same time they will not touch the plastic foundation.

I am under the impression that for commercial guys replacement, if they get disease in an apiary is a problem as they have to pay to dispose of it because they can’t burn the plastic legally. It also is slightly more expensive than wax.

Extraction is less stress as a frame will never implode due to the rigidity of the plastic comb.

So I have had no issues bees draw it well but I do not know how well they will do when I scrape or melt off the old comb and give it back for them to draw again. I have some frames in this position at the moment so will see.

If they don’t draw it I will likely switch to normal wax foundation as I am gradually migrating hives from Modified National to standard National as Mann Lake no longer supply the Uk market.

Put a Langstroth super on with alternate wax and plastic foundation all on new frames there was no issues and I can't see any difference or preference in how it's been drawn and used. My set up was OMF brood box all wax QE super all wax then super mixed wax / plastic CB & roof

My try was a complete waste of time so I dumped it.

I am not too sure if the commercial guys have much faith in it.

PH

1000's of plastic frames and very few issues, simple to scrape clean and rewax

When I rewax its with nearly all my own wax apart from what I started.

Extraction is less stress as a frame will never implode due to the rigidity of the plastic comb.

Bit of a bugger to do cut comb honey from though....:sunning:
I've not used them myself, but from others I have heard good reports and I'm told they like a decent flow on to draw them out.

Not had an issue with getting them drawn. I have no experience with foundation though but will try it next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My try was a complete waste of time so I dumped it.

I am not too sure if the commercial guys have much faith in it.

PH

Same experience here, bees hate the stuff, even after giving it another covering of wax. Tried frames in mini nucs and bees just ignored it, all going in bin as soon as I can.
S

Seems that the bees can’t even agree amongst themselves. No wonder we struggle.

1000's of plastic frames and very few issues, simple to scrape clean and rewax

I bought 800 Pierco a while back. The bees draw them no problem on a flow. If they don't draw it the way you want, you just scrape back to the midrib and they have another go.
I'm just using them in nucs now as I went back to wood/wax

The black Pierco is great for spotting eggs/small larvae in the base.

I've seen then used quite often on the YouTube video's and got to thinking. I run both nationals and commercials hives can plastic frames be bought for these two sizes and where from?

I got some from man lake for supers they are a shade too deep for frames so i just trim it off with a craft knife seems had no probs with them

I bought 800 Pierco a while back. The bees draw them no problem on a flow. If they don't draw it the way you want, you just scrape back to the midrib and they have another go.
I'm just using them in nucs now as I went back to wood/wax

The black Pierco is great for spotting eggs/small larvae in the base.

I don’t know what is available to you guys but over here we have Pierco, Rite cell and Acorn. Out of the three Acorn is what I use and recommend. It comes in different wax coatings from standard to extra heavy. I have had bees jump frames of Rite Cell and draw out the Acorn on the next frame over. I have used Pierco but my bees didn’t like it unless being fed or being in a strong nectar flow. As for color, I only purchase black as I do a lot of grafting and it definitely makes seeing eggs and larvae a lot easier.

Last edited:
I've seen then used quite often on the YouTube video's and got to thinking. I run both nationals and commercials hives can plastic frames be bought for these two sizes and where from?

You can buy plastic foundation (Ritecell) from bee equipment, not sure on where to buy commercial though.
S

To clarify mine is rite-cell from Bee-equipment co uk which is plastic foundation you put into a standard wooden frame like foundation.

I'm using black plastic foundation for the first time this year, it seems to have been drawn no different than with wax foundation. I do, however, brush extra wax onto the plastic before use.

I also use it in my mating nucs now, and again have not noticed any difference in the speed of it being drawn out.

The main thing I love about it, with age related long sightedness, is the fact that it is so easy to see eggs/young larvae with it.

Attachments

• Plastic foundation.jpg
    Plastic foundation.jpg
    489.6 KB · Views: 33
I've only been able to locate it in national size in the UK and as Colin says, in sheets. I normally nail through the comb when attaching the removeable top bar back in place after sliding the wax into position. How do you recommend it's done with plastic sheets?

I've only been able to locate it in national size in the UK and as Colin says, in sheets. I normally nail through the comb when attaching the removeable top bar back in place after sliding the wax into position. How do you recommend it's done with plastic sheets?

They flex so you can bend them and fit them into the wax grooves in the side and top bars of assembled frames.

I've just bought 3 packs what the hell...…….

:hairpull::hairpull::sos::willy_nilly:

I bought 30 national sheets of the black plastic foundation from Bee Eqpt and just tried to fit them into a brood frame and on first pass they don't fit.

The sheet wont locate in (too thick) and slide down the grooves on the side bars and the strip of wood you remove from the top bar that pins wax foundation in sits proud ie it protrudes further out than it does when you put fresh wax in if you see what I mean.

Do I need different frames?

If so which ones?

I cant call Bee Eqpt as they're closed on the weekends.

What have you guys / Girls done?

Thanks

Latest posts

Back