Plastic foundation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kev

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi,
Does anyone know where to get plastic foundation? Seems that the usual places have stopped supplying it.

Thanks

Kev

Dont think it works that great in the UK.

I looked into one hive with plastic everything including foundation and it was a bit of a mess, half drawn, twisted, buckled a right mess.

Plastic foundation (one piece with frame) is available from Modern Beekping and ****** bfarm. Rite cell foundation which you fit into a wooden frame can be bought at Bee-equip (but P&P expensive). Both types are in Langstroth and Dadant shallow size.
I do not think 14x12 or National sizes have ever been made. They tend to buckle if not waxed properly and bees do not like drawing them. If you use them, it is best to use all plastic foundation in that hive so they have no choice (other than absconding!). However, once drawn they last well, spin well without breaking up in the extractor and if used for brood, you will be able to see the eggs easily.

Last edited:
I know that the bees dislike it to start with but have a friend that seems to have lots of success with using it. Was just hoping that if I could find a supplier, then maybe they would have BS sizes. I was going to give it a try next year to see how well it works. See what you mean about the high P&P costs from Bee-equip.

Thanks for the help.

Kev

is it not worth picking up only took me 50 mins from biddenden if its the same bee equipment guy?

Hi blackie,
Yes I probably will take a run over there as its so close and the P&P is so much for the weight.

what advantage is the plastic foundation?

I have have good success with it this year. You can see eggs really well and it will not collapse in your extractor

Latest posts

Back