Plastic crate box for uncapping

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cb50

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Evening

anyone found the perfect plastic box that you can hand BS frames in after uncapping pre loading into extractor.

often wondered if there is one wide enough to hang frames that they can drip into?

thanks

Colin

Evening

anyone found the perfect plastic box that you can hand BS frames in after uncapping pre loading into extractor.

often wondered if there is one wide enough to hang frames that they can drip into?

thanks

Colin
yes.
try Solent plastics -food grade box that holds nearly 20 uncapped frames

The plastic trays in this Thorne offering
https://www.thorne.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=367
can be bought from catering supply companies.

They look very similar to these:
https://www.plastic-storage.co.uk/bakery-trays---mb-range-63-c.asp
Fitting a honey tap could be a challenge.

I asked a local metalwork company to quote for a frame stand made from stainless steel rods - IIRC it wasn't substantially cheaper than the Thorne version above.

By 'eck, Thornes tray is £113.90 plus delivery! That's a lot of money for a bit of plastic with a small metal frame on top. A few bits of wood and a washing up bowl and you have the same thing for a fiver.

By 'eck, Thornes tray is £113.90 plus delivery! That's a lot of money for a bit of plastic with a small metal frame on top. A few bits of wood and a washing up bowl and you have the same thing for a fiver.
Exactly

Best bet is get down to B&Q with an empty frame and see what fits your needs. If it's for temporarily holding uncapped frames then you don't need much and it will be relatively cheap. If you think it will collect a fair bit of honey then get it deep enough so the frame can sit on a tray type thing keeping the frame above the honey.

No, it was this one (but grey when I bought it)
https://www.solentplastics.co.uk/45-litre-eco-euro-plastic-robusto-storage-container/
but the dimensions (width and length) are the same so it will do the job, a bit deeper as well so could probably hold deeps as well as shallows
I reckon even the shallow one would hold BS National deep frames, with 217mm internal height (measuring from the bottom of the top bar).
Can also be used to store ready made frames.

Any size box that is too large, just put two bits of wood across for the lugs!

I reckon even the shallow one would hold BS National deep frames,
it does, but the bottom of the frames usually sit in the honey that's collected in the box from the drips off the frames - not a really big deal but it's then more awkward to handle the frames and just another source of extraction messiness.
Believe me, I extract quite a few deeps in a season and only have the shallow box

it does, but the bottom of the frames usually sit in the honey that's collected in the box from the drips off the frames - not a really big deal but it's then more awkward to handle the frames and just another source of extraction messiness.
Believe me, I extract quite a few deeps in a season and only have the shallow box
Good point 👍

Hi,

I can fit 10 frames in one of these. I cut the bottom out of one and cut a stainless steel queen excluder to fit to make an uncapping tray and then leave the frames hanging until ready to extract.

They come in packs of 3 from many places inc. Argo

Really Useful 17.5 Litre Plastic Nesting Boxes - Set of 3

785/5227
Really Useful 17.5 Litre Plastic Nesting Boxes - Set of 3 £17.00

Latest posts

Back