Planting a bee garden

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"...and don't forget that trees, shrubs and hedgerows provide important sources of nectar and pollen too "

busy bee

A) are you aware this is a forum for beekeepers and not year 3 school children ?

To be honest from time to time one or two people carry on like a child having a tantrum :willy_nilly:

B) why is a Somerset beekeeper using their first post to make such a crass promo for a London BKA project?

Could be many reasons as to why he knows and a good heads up all the same.:welcome:

... I've taken to attaching seeded paper the the honey I sell ...

I've heard of seeded clay balls that you scatter around your garden or anywhere as you travel about and hope for the best. Are the people who buy your honey asked to do something similar with their little heart-shaped papers?
Kitta

We have the opposite problem our garden was once heathland and it required chemical and input to keep a grass lawn, and vast amounts of organic matter to grow vegetables as the soil was thin poor and the nutruient leaches out very quickly.

So we have given up and and have decided to plant heather in the previously grassy areas. However, its costly to do this, anyone know of a bulk supplier of heather plants? (200~500)

We have the opposite problem our garden was once heathland and it required chemical and input to keep a grass lawn, and vast amounts of organic matter to grow vegetables as the soil was thin poor and the nutruient leaches out very quickly.

So we have given up and and have decided to plant heather in the previously grassy areas. However, its costly to do this, anyone know of a bulk supplier of heather plants? (200~500)

Easy to take cuttings: you could easily raise that number from a few plants.

I have 20 growing in greenhouse from one plant.

To encourage planting of bee friendly plants, I've taken to attaching seeded paper the the honey I sell. It's not as large scale as planting up an acre of wild flower meadow, but, if just a few of my customers are encouraged to plant bee friendly plants, I think it's worth it. It also makes my honey stand out from the crowd!!

I must say that looks a really lovely idea.

I ordered them from the web. There's a site called beefriendlypaper.webs.com they will seed the paper with british seeds and they're reasonably priced.

Umm... I'm surprised you didn't just pop round - after all, Marie seems to be based in the same town as you ...
Since the forum is avowedly non-commercial, anything with the merest suggestion of 'spam' tends to be stamped upon. ;)

DIY seeded paper - I found this YouTube instructional video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BUH6eu0MBs

I must say that looks a really lovely idea.

Umm... I'm surprised you didn't just pop round - after all, Marie seems to be based in the same town as you ...
Since the forum is avowedly non-commercial, anything with the merest suggestion of 'spam' tends to be stamped upon. ;)

Quite right, itma. I believe that the practice of passing oneself off as an on-line independent punter while having an undisclosed "interest" in the product is called "astro-turfing"...... which is pretty appropriate, come to think of it, given the title of this thread!

Last edited:
Quite right, itma. I believe that the practice of passing oneself off as an on-line independent punter while having an undisclosed "interest" in the product is called "astro-turfing"
A "shill" I suspect is the term. Posing as an enthusiastic purchaser for your own or a close associate's goods. Astro-turfing is the corporate version of a "grassroots" campaign where paid lobbyists pose in public as independent supporters of a policy. Just trying to keep the definitions tidy!:)

I am a customer of this business only ie. not benefitting from letting Erichalfbee know about them. They are a local business I found out about them because they made seeded paper favours for a friends wedding.

I've heard of seeded clay balls

My druggy Nephew was an urban warrior and used to drive around Warwickshire lobbing these into the flower beds in the middle of all 'new build' roundabouts.

They contained mainly marigold seeds mixed with a few marijuana....

Tom Bick

..... - there's some very questionable practice currently going on in my local bka
richard

Last edited:
A "shill" I suspect is the term. Posing as an enthusiastic purchaser for your own or a close associate's goods. Astro-turfing is the corporate version of a "grassroots" campaign where paid lobbyists pose in public as independent supporters of a policy. Just trying to keep the definitions tidy!:)

alanf,:thanks::thanks:

I do like "shill". It has a real ring to it! Our local sarf east London website calls all such stuff "astro-turfing" and they would have come down like a ton of bricks on "first time" posters like busy bee plugging a commercial product, so I'm sorry for being a couple of degrees off target with my definition!

And thanks again for "shill", though ! Nice one!

... they would have come down like a ton of bricks on "first time" posters like busy bee plugging a commercial product ..

Careful. Who do you have in mind? Busy Bee has posted many times; Busy_Bee posted once - but I can't see that he identified any commercial interests (unless the product has been removed) and Skovers (whom you might have in mind) has been posting since 2011 and explained below that he is a customer of that business.

I am a customer of this business only ie. not benefitting from letting Erichalfbee know about them. They are a local business I found out about them because they made seeded paper favours for a friends wedding.

Last edited:
Careful. Who do you have in mind? Busy Bee has posted many times; Busy_Bee posted once - but I can't see that he identified any commercial interests (unless the product has been removed) and Skovers (whom you might have in mind) has been posting since 2011 and explained below that he is a customer of that business.

Thanks for pointing that out, Madge. I apologise for any busy bee / Busy_Bee confusion.

To be clear, it is Busy_Bee who appears to have been busted for "shill" activity on this thread (see alanf's post on this thread for a definition)

The Edit at the foot of Busy_Bee's one and only post suggests that the post has been "moderated". From memory, the product and the BKA promoting it have both been extracted from the post.

With the benefit of that information, you may, of course, draw your own conclusions......

Last edited:
the product and the BKA promoting it have both been extracted from the post.

I'll confirm that - it was a wildflower seed mix imho not very good value at £3.50 for 5 gm of seeds

Planting for bees is crucial and I am really pleased you are taking this initiative. The flowers featured in the picture posted are a native/non native mix which ensures a longer flowering period.

I am busy_bee but now have my independent account having tidied up a glitch on my computer. I am the current Secretary of the London Beekeeper's Association. As one of the other users commented we do have publish very useful information for those wanting to plant for our pollinators.

I look forward to participating in all threads about beekeeping and on issues that urban bees, in particular, face. All postings are my own personal views.

Planting for bees is crucial and I am really pleased you are taking this initiative. The flowers featured in the picture posted are a native/non native mix which ensures a longer flowering period.

I am busy_bee but now have my independent account having tidied up a glitch on my computer. I am the current Secretary of the London Beekeeper's Association. As one of the other users commented we do have publish very useful information for those wanting to plant for our pollinators.

I look forward to participating in all threads about beekeeping and on issues that urban bees, in particular, face. All postings are my own personal views.

:welcome:

Or rather, Welcome back!

Not that it matters a great deal but are you saying you are busy_bee on the forum or you are a busy bee.

Back