Plans for planting

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Going back to cats, I find a layer of pine cones is effective to stop cats on flower beds, no good with young plants though, they open and close depending whether they are wet or dry.

Going back to cats, I find a layer of pine cones is effective to stop cats on flower beds
or a deep layer of pine needles masks the smell of corruption from any you buried there previously

Coming close to completing a very long project, converting a deep Koi pond into a smaller, shallower, wildlife pond. The original was four feet deep and it has taken years of back fill, allow to settle, back fill, settle. The new pond is about two feet deep, with a shallow shelf leading off one side that will be just a few inches deep and filled with stones to allow access for wildlife.
The hole is finally almost ready and I made some final adjustments for level. Next process will be lining the entire area with old carpet and a layer of sand before the liner goes in. I've allowed for a marginal area beyond the shallow part for planting and the pond will contain just Water Hawthorn and oxygenators. Yellow Flag, Water Mint and the likes are more easily controlled in a damp margin than in the water where they soon take over. I have plenty of little 'perches' for Dragonflies to use.

Coming close to completing a very long project, converting a deep Koi pond into a smaller, shallower, wildlife pond. The original was four feet deep and it has taken years of back fill, allow to settle, back fill, settle. The new pond is about two feet deep, with a shallow shelf leading off one side that will be just a few inches deep and filled with stones to allow access for wildlife.
The hole is finally almost ready and I made some final adjustments for level. Next process will be lining the entire area with old carpet and a layer of sand before the liner goes in. I've allowed for a marginal area beyond the shallow part for planting and the pond will contain just Water Hawthorn and oxygenators. Yellow Flag, Water Mint and the likes are more easily controlled in a damp margin than in the water where they soon take over. I have plenty of little 'perches' for Dragonflies to use.
We did the same made our pond much smaller, didn't replace the fish. A lot of newts in there now, not so many frogs but teaming with little critters

We did the same made our pond much smaller, didn't replace the fish. A lot of newts in there now, not so many frogs but teaming with little critters
We have a mallard sitting on a nest at our apiary pond. This is the first year she’s got this far at about three weeks. In previous years a heron or mink has trashed the nest. We have a camera on it and the last few days a male has been over harassing her to mate. She been pretty good at chucking him into the water. She goes off the nest for a wander at night.

No it’s a hedgehog nest. We have three boxes dotted round the garden. All empty 🥲
Phew!!! I've left an area under our sycamore tree go wild, added a pile of sticks with leaves on top. I think we have a resident there. Caught on camera a few times, finding poo over the grass. Going to put the camera back out to see if we can get some footage

I don't think so it's when we pass these trees
Definitely cherry laurel and if anyone can tell me how to get rid of it I'll be delighted. Apparently it contains arsenic, nothing grows on or under it, cut it back and it sends out shoots that grow an inch a month and every twig touching the ground sends out roots. We have probably an acre or so spread around growing to 20 feet or so by leaning on walls and trees. Slash and burn are the only thing it understands and it's very hard work.

Definitely cherry laurel and if anyone can tell me how to get rid of it I'll be delighted. Apparently it contains arsenic, nothing grows on or under it, cut it back and it sends out shoots that grow an inch a month and every twig touching the ground sends out roots. We have probably an acre or so spread around growing to 20 feet or so by leaning on walls and trees. Slash and burn are the only thing it understands and it's very hard work.

I think we have one of those. I "pruned" it with a chainsaw a couple of years back. The smell of the wood when we shredded it was amazing.

James

It was everywhere in betws, could smell it before seeing it!!!! How many hives do you have happygran?

I know a lady who nearly copped it cutting back a Laurel hedge, horrible stuff.
And there was me thinking I might get a bit of that for my garden!!!!!! Thank goodness for this forum

She remembered moving the ladder along and then she came around on the lawn.
Another story I heard was a man driving to the recycling centre with the Laurel branches piled in his estate and he never got there.
I have a horrible neighbour with a Leylandii boundary 'hedge' the length of my back garden, which is about forty yards. Any gaps of daylight that have appeared in this monstrosity have been filled with Cherry Laurel, it does the same thing, totally blocks out the light.

She remembered moving the ladder along and then she came around on the lawn.
Another story I heard was a man driving to the recycling centre with the Laurel branches piled in his estate and he never got there.
I have a horrible neighbour with a Leylandii boundary 'hedge' the length of my back garden, which is about forty yards. Any gaps of daylight that have appeared in this monstrosity have been filled with Cherry Laurel, it does the same thing, totally blocks out the light.
Never, ours the same, although it does provide a good screen, as the neighbours at the bottom of the garden would have a birds eye view into our garden without them. But they are horrible, flipping roots throughout my borders,when they cut the tops, the branches fall onto my garden and kills everything underneath

Attachments

• 20220419_164557.jpg
    20220419_164557.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back