Pin killed brood assay

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm probably having a senior moment, but I simply cannot see what the link is between this hygienic behavior and how it relates to varroa control, unless there is a correlation between hygienic bees and low varroa numbers?
AFB and EFB, yes. But the genetics is reasonably understood for this behavior for these diseases.

I'm probably having a senior moment, but I simply cannot see what the link is between this hygienic behavior and how it relates to varroa control, unless there is a correlation between hygienic bees and low varroa numbers?
AFB and EFB, yes. But the genetics is reasonably understood for this behavior for these diseases.

I haven't the data to support that assertion but I believe the theory suggests there is.
I always thought I was pretty good at maths but when I read some of the papers on this subject, it blows my mind. Clear evidence (if it were needed) why I shall never be a prof!

But what theory? I haven't been able to find any correlation to date between hygienic behavior and varroa control and wish some one could point me to where this idea/evidence/theory has arisen from.

But what theory? I haven't been able to find any correlation to date between hygienic behavior and varroa control and wish some one could point me to where this idea/evidence/theory has arisen from.

I trawl through lots of papers and put things together from different sources (e.g. http://www.researchgate.net/publica..._behaviour_in_honey_bees_(Hymenoptera_Apidae)). I agree. It is frustrating when they don't seem to answer a straight question but get bogged down in the minutiae of their research.

Thanks B+ will have a read after a heather honey harvesting afternoon. Slightly worried by the abstract saying "potentially".
Me thinks a lot of money may be be wasting on this, rather than take a more direct approach.

First, the hygienic trait of diseased brood removal, and the hygienic trait of removing mite infested brood are two different traits. According to Spivak, colonies can be hygienic in removing diseased brood and not have the trait for removing mite infested brood. She believes they are two separate traits. I don't know, but.....

You should read Glenn Apiaries' site:

http://www.glenn-apiaries.com/vsh.html

Attachments

• Needle test Instructions (UK).pdf
    598 KB · Views: 10

Latest posts

Back