pictures of your hives in the snow

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jimbeek

we had an episode early nov when a load of bees collected on the chicken houses - the missus started feeding them.

from flight paths most, if not all, were not ours - mostly very small bees! ours are big and furry.

Last edited:
Do you keep them there all year round Keith.

No problems fro the neighbours etc??

No. i just brought that couple of nuc's home as they were a little on the weak side and were been constantaly robbed by bees and wasps alike. when i put them on the roof of the shed i got a raised eyebrow from the wife and i assured her that they would be gone in the spring.
i would love to have a couple of hives in the garden , but after 20 odd years of beekeeping this was the first year i brought them home.
i want to try and keep a weak nuc somewhere in the garden , just so i have access to a few worker bees for putting into the queen cages with the queen

Photos

Cork Ireland , temps for the last week by night have been -6 , -10C

Beautiful pics ,
Third pic, hive in foreground , looks like youve had a sneaky peep and haven't replaced roof properly :coolgleamA:.

John Wilkinson

Bit of Luck they may start to grow.
Mate of mine this Summer drove some 6" diameter posts in his field soaked in a mixture of creosote and sump oil, you've guessed it, at least 50% threw side shoots. Looked impossible, you could smell the creosote 100 yards away .
Didn't last as he rubbed them all off when he spotted them !

John Wilkinson
he should have put them in upside-down (they don't grow so easily like that)

Looking a bit forlorn, only one Nat to keep it company!
Regards
TBRNoTB

Last edited:
I seems a long time ago now, doesn't it. This was at -15C

DSCF2911.JPG

Did this ever make it on to the forum - it was in the paper around Christmas...

The Bee Carol
Carol Ann Duffy

Silently on Christmas Eve,
the turn of midnight's key;
all the garden locked in ice –
a silver frieze –
except the winter cluster of the bees.

Flightless now and shivering,
around their Queen they cling;
every bee a gift of heat;
she will not freeze
within the winter cluster of the bees.

Bring me for my Christmas gift
a single golden jar;
let me taste the sweetness there,
but honey leave
to feed the winter cluster of the bees.

Come with me on Christmas Eve
to see the silent hive –
trembling stars cloistered above –
and then believe,
bless the winter cluster of the bees.

On a rainy day I finally found time to dig out this pic taken one cold eve of signs of the cluster as the snow thawed. (there was newspaper under the roof, but I might go the 'Kingspan' option this year for more insulation)

Latest posts

Back