Photographs of mesh propolisation please

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Dear All, for my research I'm looking for photos of the propolisation of the mesh floor of hives. If you have any info on the prevailing wind on hive in question it would be nice. Please send to [email protected] as there may be limits on my Uni email. The reason is to understand the impact of under floor air flows and to see if there is any correlation.
thanks
Derek

Not exactly what you asked for Derek, but a negative finding should be just as valid as a positive. I swap old floors for clean every spring. ( I do not think it makes any difference to the bees but it makes me feel better). Never had any propolis on any floors yet. However my apiary has hedging all round, so not much wind flow. All my floors are OMF and I overwinter with metal mouseguards. No upper entrances and solid crown boards with insulation

I have some hives with mesh over the holes in the crownboards, they are all sealed with propolis etc.

ok negative answers valid. However I found this but it was on a hive sat on black correx and the sides of the floor sheltered by more correx for part of the year
IMG_0341.JPG

I have found plenty of OMF propolisation but only where damage has occurred e.g. the mesh has lifted slightly from where it is attached to the poly floor. Never seen anything like the image in the photo. But I don't keep OMFs closed.

seen them propolise up the OMF a few times - don't know whether I have any now to photograph. a few years ago during our week with ChrisB ant his bee farm, Peter Davies (Pete D on here) found and photographed an OMF floor on a poly Langstroth hive which the bees had propolised solid.

Latest posts

Back