Phone calls regarding swarms that aren't swarms

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YorkshireBees

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
10-20 (mix of poly / wood)
Over the last week alone I must have received approx 150+ phonecalls from the general public of which only 3 were for swarms of honeybees!

In general 99% of them are about bumblebee nests, especially the tree bumblebee that this year has been nesting around the roofline of houses.

Although I really don't mind giving advice and reassuring people that the bees will do no damage and will be gone by the end of Summer there are a few hilarious calls...

Caller1 - There were bees buzzing around the overflow pipe from my upstairs sink so I blocked it up but they are still trying to get in!
Me - Are you sure the pipe is connected to the sink as bees generally need a small cavity to nest in!?
Caller1 - It's definitely connected to the sink.
Me - Well I suggest you unblock it as there will be a nest inside.
Caller1 - Well the cement should still be soft enough, I will go and do that now.

* Not quite sure of the logic of blocking your own overflow pipe!

Caller2 - We noticed bees tring to get into a gap around the waste pipe. My husband has blocked it up but they are still trying to get in!
Me - There will be a bumblebees nest inside, the best thing to do is unblock it and let the bees be and they will be gone in a few weeks.
Caller2 - We can't unblock it, we used the self expanding foam and it has set now.
Me - Well the problem is that you have now blocked a nest of bees inside and they will try to find another way outside and you may find them coming out inside your house.
Caller2 - Oh. What about the bees outside, will they go away?
Me - Probably not as they are trying to get back into their nest.
Caller2 - Well there are at least 10 of them, can you come and collect them!
Me - I am a Honeybee keeper and as I explained these are bumblebees.

The caller rang off in a huff!

Oh the joys of trying to offer advice!!

Oh the joys of trying to offer advice!!

At least they are gone - not continually harping on like some on the forum!

But maybe one of the worst offenders has now been disconnected permanently?

I am now wondering if this 'proliferation' of bumble sightings, and entries into the small cavities around the home, is due to the neonics ban?

Over the last week alone I must have received approx 150+ phonecalls from the general public of which only 3 were for swarms of honeybees!

You should write a book of all the best ones.
I have lost track of the calls I get either on my landline or mobile but, the call log on my mobile says there were 11 yesterday.

I have noticed a sudden increase in the number of bumbles around my garden,,They're very interested in the entrance through the wall for the observation hive..

I had the same last year at its height i was on average getting 15 to 20 calls a day all to do with bumble bees
Some people insist there honey bees so I ask them to take a picture and text it to me, then they can get quite rude when you say you won't come out and collect them
I've sorted this problem this year by taking my name of the swarm collectors list, a shame really as I enjoyed going out and collecting swarms but in the end it was to much hassle

me too, many calls every day, I always mention that if I attend and they are in fact bumbles or wasp's, then a call out charge is put in place (ie petrol money) I amazed at the amount that swear blind they are honey bees, they know the difference don't you know, we aint thick....... that turn out to be bumbles:hairpull:

Perhaps if the web sites which have collectors phone numbers also added pics of bees?

Perhaps if the web sites which have collectors phone numbers also added pics of bees?

ours does, along with bumbles,wasps,hornets etc, but still.
people will say anything in the hope of getting someone around for free that may solve their problem

I charge callouts for bumbles - almost all tree bumbles. - £20 a time.

Relocate lots in birdboxes.

20 minute job usually..

What's peoples general opinion of tree bumbles? Decent enough? I understand they are kind of new (isn?) to the UK?

I put a few bird boxes out in the orchard hoping to get a nest or two... but none... but a honey bee swarm did at least move into my new hive!

same boat here. my best one was... I have lots of bumble bees in my garden what can I do about them????. I said have you got flowers.. yes she says, I said go to the garden centre and get some weed killer and spray ALL THE GARDEN but that will kill the flowers.. yes THATS WHY YOU HAVE GOT BEES................ and someone else got a swarm of honey bees.. been there about a week around gutter... me says they will be bumble bees.. caller. no I know there not there deffinatly honey bees.. so 2 mile later there bumble bees... do people not know the diference?? ho and another.... just had a swarm of wasps arrive thele be honey bees ile fetch a nuc box.. caller says definatly wasps... get there bees she says NEVER

What's peoples general opinion of tree bumbles? Decent enough? I understand they are kind of new (isn?) to the UK?

I put a few bird boxes out in the orchard hoping to get a nest or two... but none... but a honey bee swarm did at least move into my new hive!

Tree bumbles.. Came to UK from France in the 1990s I believe with warmer summers.

Love bird boxes not cleaned out after autumn.

Can be VERY aggressive - especially with vibration. (I was attacked and stung on face 10 meters away from a nest in bee box on a garden shed- children used to hit football against shed. Bees did not like it).

Lots around here.. in holes in fascia boards, eaves and under edges of pressed sand tiles.

I remove using veil only and electricians gloves. Tend to attack face only. No venom but multiple quick stings - they hurt...

I relocate birdboxes into our garden/local woods.. Inherited 5 boxes last year.. (I charge)

Latest posts

Back