Phoenix from the flames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe I've misunderstood, but you went to collect something that had a economic value to you. Perhaps you should have made a donation to the family's favourite charity.

I always thought that destroying bees can only be done by a pest controller. maybe i am wrong, but i always tell those that i collect swarms from that i think there is a law about killing them. They all seem to like that idea and am glad that i am giving them a good home.

I think this has been discussed before and I don't think it is illegal to kill bees, I think anyone can kill a nest as long as they do it properly,:Angel_anim: but it's a good story to spread around (Our BKA states it on the website) because at least it discourages the great unwashed from pouring petrol over a sw.......... well usually anyway.
But as you say it spreads the feelgood factor when they do 'save' some bees

Last edited:
Maybe I've misunderstood, but you went to collect something that had a economic value to you. Perhaps you should have made a donation to the family's favourite charity.

Maybe you need to re-read the first post of this thread, Lizard was called and asked to collect the bees, ie to do the lady a favour. Ask any swarm collector about the economic balance sheet (profit) from going out to swarm calls ;)

So if someone has something of no value to them, but of value to me, I'd be foolish not to charge them for taking it off their hands. Anyone out there got an old Velocette they no longer want?

In the present case, it does not appear that there was any great distance involved, nor any special climbing equipment or building dismantling needed to get at the swarm. I appreciate that the woman was only asked for a donation to charity, and there was no attempt to make money out of collecting the swarm, but even so, in such circumstances it seems more appropriate to say "thank you for letting me collect them", rather than asking for money.

Asking for a donation was a more than reasonable suggestion, regardless of your thoughts regarding charges for swarm collection.

An optional donation is just that, it is not a demand for cash.

The son acted like an ignorant pig (apologies to all real pigs out there) - sadly there are too many of this type of oaf about.

So if someone has something of no value to them, but of value to me, I'd be foolish not to charge them for taking it off their hands. Anyone out there got an old Velocette they no longer want?

In the present case, it does not appear that there was any great distance involved, nor any special climbing equipment or building dismantling needed to get at the swarm. I appreciate that the woman was only asked for a donation to charity, and there was no attempt to make money out of collecting the swarm, but even so, in such circumstances it seems more appropriate to say "thank you for letting me collect them", rather than asking for money.
Hi Thorn
If my next neighbour asks me to do work for him even though he has supplied the materials. Am i not intitled to charge for my services or ask for a donation to the Unenployed Poor Builders Charity:smilielol5:. I have very little distance to travel. After all most trades charge a call out fee. If you charge £60 per call out. Somtimes to collect a swarm only takes a few minutes other times a few days of toing and froing. Some days you win some days you lose. Buying extra equipment treating the swarm. So bit more than just a Quick look. me thinks. Andy

Hi Thorn
If my next neighbour asks me to do work for him even though he has supplied the materials. Am i not intitled to charge for my services or ask for a donation to the Unenployed Poor Builders Charity:smilielol5:. I have very little distance to travel. After all most trades charge a call out fee. If you charge £60 per call out. Somtimes to collect a swarm only takes a few minutes other times a few days of toing and froing. Some days you win some days you lose. Buying extra equipment treating the swarm. So bit more than just a Quick look. me thinks. Andy

Whilst I personally don't charge for collecting swarms, I don't think your analogy makes sense Oandy. The situation is not equivalent to you doing some work for someone and them providing the materials, because in that situation THEY end up with the finished product.
In this situation they provide the materials and YOU end up with the finished product.
Sorry to nit-pick but.....:)

Hi GBH As you say may not be the best analogy. The job may only take a few minutes, say for instance swapping a door handle four screws removed. Four screws replaced 5mins max time but even so. When i am asked to quote for work i don't charge if it is local but if it is more than say 15 miles then i will charge for fuel and time. He was requested to attend to the Swarm so he is offering a service. He still stands to lose fuel to travel, time, make up a travel box treat Bees? Andy

Agreed.
I think it very much depends on what the beekeeper's motives are.
If the beek wants the swarm in order to increase his number of colonies or to sell to another beek, then I think it's mighty cheeky charging for removal. Yes, they have to pay fuel costs to get there etc, but that's like complaining that you have to drive to the shop to pick up your lottery winnings.

I'm just glad the queen and some bees survived - well done -

There are many ways to look at it. Putting your name on swarm register, for the benefits that may come your way, is the beekeeper's choice. It's no good going on about fuel costs, if you don't want to go because it'll cost you, don't bother but a swarm is cheaper than a nuc, no?
On the other hand, when you are stuck with a problem yet want it solved for free .. doesn't happen very often, you generally have to pay. Faced with trying to save a bit of cash, we see the sorry outcome.
Far better PR would be to turn up like a white knight, do a fantastic job and have onlookers think you're amazing.

......Then ride off into the sunset dreaming of honey.

Hi this was the swarm that i retrieved yesterday. I did not charge for this pickup as they were my own. Not the most dificult that i have had to retrieve but a joy not to loose them. The bee's are the lump onder the box. The weather and work made it dificult to check them. I was at work when the wife phoned but the battery went flat any way safe retrieval. Andy

Last edited:
I have public liability insurance. The ladder is secured with the same strop as the swarm box. When i was unenployed when the building trade went flat i worked as a window cleaner. Andy

Last edited:
I have public liability insurance. The ladder is secured with the same stop as the swarm box. When i was unenployed when the building trade went flat i worked as a window cleaner. Andy

Not criticising Andy - I'm just terrified of ladders. :)

No offence taken just saying i have public liability insurance. I also reconised that that this is a phone pole and not a electric pole. So if any one else needs to retrieve from a pole. MAKE SURE IT IS NOT ELECTRIC. Andy

Interesting take on the situation Oandy - trespass. You seem to be up a BT owned pole and they could have had you come down real quick, bees or no bees.

I don't suppose for one minute that they would wish to encourage any member of the public to climb their poles. It would be difficult to deny that you were not the cause of any fault which they claimed to invent as a result of your visit. :)

I suspect that you were not bashing a drum with a spoon at the time.

BT would probably say to leave them, they would probably disperse from their equipment naturally and then you could take up your pursuit once again.

Thanks for your concerns Hombre. The bees were my worry no harm done to pole or other parts. I also don't believe bt would invent a fault. Andy

Latest posts

Back