Phacelia Honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodenBeam

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
More than a few
This year I had a stronger tasting, woody, darker honey with slightly bitter aftertaste (But not overly). There are mature Sweet Chestnuts in the area which I thought may have been a likely source however I've just been told Phacelia can produce a darker, bitter honey - there were pollen nectar strips with Phacelia within. Google-ing 'Phacelia Honey' brings up everything from sweet light to bitter dark!

Any thoughts / experience of Sweet Chestnut or Phacelia???

Pictured alongside some Borage for comparison.

Phacelia.JPG

This year I had a stronger tasting, woody, darker honey with slightly bitter aftertaste (But not overly). There are mature Sweet Chestnuts in the area which I thought may have been a likely source however I've just been told Phacelia can produce a darker, bitter honey - there were pollen nectar strips with Phacelia within. Google-ing 'Phacelia Honey' brings up everything from sweet light to bitter dark!

Any thoughts / experience of Sweet Chestnut or Phacelia???

Pictured alongside some Borage for comparison.

View attachment 14809
More likely to be sweet Chestnut honey. I have some pretty pure stuff, dark and strong tasting. I like it.
Easy way to check is look at the pollen in the honey, otherwise it's mainly guess work.

Had both types of honey. Chestnut is dark and very strong tasting, almost burns the back of your throat. Phacelia is light and sweet, sets to a smooth soft set. In my experience anyway. Another dark honey is sycamore.
Just adding the photo's left is sycamore, right is phacelia

,E

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    164.1 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Ah.....thanks Enrico. That is along the lines I was thinking about colour - interesting what you say about texture. Crop was a little later in the year than Sycamore but also interesting nonetheless. 80% of our 'OSR' crop was a medium colour....had put this down to the bees working Sycamore/Hawthorn/Blackthorn - remained in a liquid state, in fact still in a liquid state which makes for one hell if a change.

Tasted my neighbours Italian pure sweet chestnut honey. Maybe an acquired taste, but too bitter for me to enjoy.

Hi Enrico, How would you say Phacelia compares to OSR honey?

Ah.....thanks Enrico. That is along the lines I was thinking about colour - interesting what you say about texture. Crop was a little later in the year than Sycamore but also interesting nonetheless. 80% of our 'OSR' crop was a medium colour....had put this down to the bees working Sycamore/Hawthorn/Blackthorn - remained in a liquid state, in fact still in a liquid state which makes for one hell if a change.

Strange because our territories almost overlap and my late April/May honey set very quickly as usual.
BTW: what is that green crop t'other side of the road from you - it looked a bit like Phacelia but I was being tailgated and so couldn't slow down to investigate.

If you're referring to the present crop, its OSR with an addition of mustard to assist in the control of flea beetle. The mustard has just been sprayed off so what you see should change over the next few weeks.

Had a similar conversation earlier in the year when extracted my early summer crop had a really strong nutty slightly bitter taste over the nice background honey. Now that it has stood for 3-4 months that has gone and it is lovely. Similar colour to the darker honeys on here although it is mixed crop.

If you have a strong nutty flavour at extraction it may disappear with time is what I am trying to say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back